Chapter one

Aaliyah's heart was breaking. It had been a few months since Jameel got discharged, but he remembered nothing about her. Jameel was letting her live with them, but to him she was the children's nanny, nothing more. He believed that her husband was in another country for business, so she had nowhere else to go. How could Aaliyah tell him, that he was her husband? That he had vowed to love, care and protect her forever. Had he forgotten those vows too? It broke her heart trying to explain it to the children. She had just told them they were playing a game, and that in front of daddy, they couldn't call her mummy. She told them daddy had to guess who she was.

It hurt Aaliyah that he no longer referred to her as Latte, just Aaliyah. She cursed her wishful thinking because she had often wished he would just call her Aaliyah, not Latte, and now that he was, she would do anything to just hear him call her Latte. She would lay awake at night, sobbing her heart out, and praying for his memories to return. She always put on a brave face for the children, because to them it was a game. They didn't realise how serious the situation was.

Jameel took the children out, for tea and cake. Aaliyah went to, because to Jameel, she was their babysitter. Aaliyah and Jameel went to get the drinks. 

"Jameel, I'd like a latte please."

Jameel stood there in shock. Latte? Why was that so familiar to him? Why had Aaliyah saying it, triggered something in him? He suddenly got visions of two people, hugging and kissing, and one calling the other Latte. Aaliyah looked at Jameel, and at his confusion. Is this bringing parts of his memory back? she wondered excitedly