𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒆

✦Important AN at the end✦

═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══

And The Shards Cut Her Feet

Persephone followed her professor down the dark stairway, deciding to go towards the Great Hall. The vague words the older lady had spoken bounced around her head as the sound of her shoes hitting the floor echoed through the semi-empty halls.

The young girl hummed to herself calmly as she bit her lip, watching her black Oxford shoes clack against the tiled flooring. She debated stopping to re-lace them, noticing that the bow was untidy and uneven.

For a moment, Persephone stopped in place as her eyes found their way towards a painting. It was of a dove and a raven who flew around their canvas. The art was dark, but not so dark you couldn't tell what was happening. It was a few trees that Persephone assumed were dead and a moon that glowed a dim orange-red in the back. There was no grass, only dirt and rocks, next to a lifeless shrub that could have been roses in its past. The young girl watched the birds before the raven landed calmly on a branch and looked out of its painting, directly at the girl.

Suddenly, blinking for the first time since she had begun to stare, she looked away from the raven's piercing blue eyes before continuing on her way. Before the painting was out of sight, she glanced back at it, and a shiver ran up her spine to see that the dove had joined its friend in watching her down the hall. Its bright red eyes piercing into her soul.

Once she arrived at the great hall, she was glad to see that most of her friends were waiting for her. When the group noticed her, they did not greet her with a smile. Everyone watched her walk towards them with grim faces, and it made her feel worried.

"What?" The blonde asked once she arrived, taking a seat next to Annabeth. She chose to ignore Arthur, who sat next to Septimus and Lillith across from her.

"Have you seen Nancy?" Lillith asked with pleading eyes. She was glancing at her friends, who each looked at her with equal concern.

"No, I thought she came with you guys." Persephone glanced down the Slytherin table and couldn't help but notice Riddle smirking not too far away.

"We did too, but when we got here, she wasn't with us anymore," Abraxas replied, scratching his jaw.

"Joseph told us not to worry, but we can't help it with the current situation," Annabeth replied as she reached across the table to grab some salt.

"I'm sure she's fine..." Persephone's voice trailed off as her gaze found itself in Tom Riddles's direction. His face was contorted into a perfect smirk as he conversed with a few 4th-year girls a few seats away. His posture was loose and straight as he laughed at a joke.

As he laughed, his attention found itself in her direction as well, as he caught Persephone's gaze. He raised his eyebrow at the girl as she quickly looked away.