Chapter 17

When I open my door there is a random old guy sitting in my bedroom at my table. He's wearing black rimmed glasses, and a suit. Oh! I realise that he's my tutor. 

"Hey, I'm Lia" I say and sit down opposite him. 

"Hello. I'm Jack. I'm going to be your tutor for the next couple of weeks" he says in a friendly way. He doesn't seem boring which is good. 

We start by talking about different things that iv'e already learnt about in school and what things I haven't yet. 

Then Lucas comes in and I swear my hunger levels just hit an all knew high.  

'Knock knock'- Lucas was knocking on the door

"Come in" I yell and Lucas walks in holding a tray full of different food. It's got mango, chocolate, cheese and crackers and basically everything else you can think of. 

"Wow" I say, "You didn't have to make all that!" I say happily 

"Oh don't you want it?" Lucas says pretending and starts to walk away. 

"No, no I do!" I say happily. He walks over to me and sets that tray down. Just looking at it makes me 100 times hungrier. 

"Thank you" I say looking at him. Wow, I'm actually very surprised that he doesn't have a girlfriend. 

Lucas leaves and then we get back to our lesson. 

It's actually so fun. We are talking about the Victorian Era and how they lived and stuff. This is my history class and for homework I have to give a presentation about one aspect of the Victorian Era. I'm going to chose the clothing the architecture because I think it's really interesting. 

"And do you know why the Victorian Era is called the Victorian Era?" Jack asks me 

"Because of Queen Victoria" I reply. I already know a bit about the Victorian Era because I watched a show called 'Victoria' on TV when I was back in Scotland. 

"Very good. Why was she so important?" He asks. In school usually the teacher just lectures on and on about things but with Jack he's teaching me heaps but we're having a conversation about it which ,means that I can actually concentrate. 

I answer his question in depth. I love Queen Victoria, or well I love Jenna Coleman who plays Queen Victoria in 'Victoria' so I'm very happy to be talking about her. 

"My my, you do know your history, why did Queen Victoria get in power?" 

I then explained to him the line of succession. 

Somehow we get onto the conversation of the line of succession in businesses and how they are usually expected to be passed onto the business owners child and I was saying how completely stupid this is because just because they are the child of the original person doesn't mean that they should instantly get the business when others would be much better suited to the job. 

"Well yes, I agree with you but you know that you Dad's business will most likely be passed down to you" Jack says

"Yes, I know that that's what my Dad wants but that's not going to happen, I don't want it" I say. We then go on to some other topic but I couldn't get that out of my head. 

Right now Jack has left and I'm all along in my room thinking. It's pretty hot in here so I have all the windows open and then sliding door's open too. There's about to be a storm and the curtains in front of the doors are rustling and moving. I'm lying on my bed thinking about the whole line of succession thing. 

My Dad knows I don't want the 'business' right? I mean it's not like I have tried to hide that fact but I mean I guess I haven't specifically said that I don't want it. But, well, he did say that I was going to work with him to 'learn more about the business'. 

Leo texts me and tells me that tea's ready so I walk down the stairs in a lot of pain and walk into the dinning room. Everybody is already there again and so when I sit down we start eating. We are having this rice and curry dish which is actually really good. 

Everyone is eating and talking so I decide this is a good as time as any to tell Dad that I don't want to inherit the business. 

"Hey Dad"

"Yes Amelia" I sigh

"It's Lia" I say frustrated 

"What did you want to say, Amelia?" He asks also frustrated 

I sigh 

"I was learning about the line of succession today and I was just making sure that you knew that when you die I don't want the 'business'." 

"Your young, and I hopefully won't die for a very long time so you won't need to make that decision right now" he says dismissively 

"No Dad. I don't want it and I won't ever want it" I say firmly 

"As I said, you're young. You don't need to know what you want right now" He's not looking me in the eye anymore and I'm starting to get annoyed by it. 

"Fine. I want it" I say and he looks up at me surprised and starts to talk but I'm not done yet

"So that when you finally do die I can tear everything you worked so hard on apart" I say. I don't scream it but I say it loud enough that some people stop talking and look at us. 

I swear I can see smoke coming from his ears when I say this. His face even goes red, he slowly puts his knife and fork on his plate. 

"Follow me" He says standing up and walking out of the door. I do as he says and we walk down a hallway into an office. 

He sits down behind his desk with his back facing the beautiful view of the ocean. 

"Sit" he says and crosses his on his desk 

I do as he says. 

"Amelia. Saying those types of things in front of my men is not a good thing to do. You're just a child and don't yet understand how important the 'business' is to so many people. You need these people to trust you if you ever want to successfully run this business. I know-"

"For the last time, I don't want to" I say slowly and loudly, looking him straight in the eyes.

"Fine then. I'll find you a husband that does 

I'm taken a'back. A husband? I mean I know mine and my Dad's relationship isn't that great but would he really sell me off?