Chapter 28

France is amazing.

Well from what iv'e seen it is. I haven't been allowed to leave the grounds but the grounds are massive. I went exploring yesterday and I literally found a garden that could have resembled the secret garden in the movie.

Iv'e been here for 3 days now including the day I arrived and although I love it here, the whole 3 days have been agony.

I hate that I'm away from Lucas when he's hurt. I haven't been able to talk to him because, get this, there is no wifi connection or cell signal! How is that even possible? Iv'e been coming up with ideas on how to get wifi or data, most of them were pretty unlikely to work but I think iv'e come up with one that should work.

I was up in the attic this morning and in a box covered in dust I found a map of the area. It says that 20 miles away there is a little town, and I am just hoping, begging, praying that I can find cell signal there.

"Hey Ariel, I'm going to go exploring again today, can I take Gipsy?" I ask Ariel who is in the kitchen baking something that smells glorious.

"Of course you may dear, just don't leave the grounds" Ariel says smiling

I feel bad about lying to Ariel but not bad enough to not do it because I really want to talk to Lucas.

"Hey Gipsy" I say to the beautiful brown horse in the stable full of horses. "Come on, we're going on an adventure" I say then put the saddle on her.

I don't ride right by the road because I don't want to be seen but I ride close enough so that I can still see the road every now and then but not close enough so that somebody might see me and think that I'm trying to leave.

After about an hour of doing this I see the gates that lead out onto a road. Shabby wooden gates that make it seem like the dirt track would only lead to an old run down farm house, it's smart really I think to myself as I jump over the gate. If nobody thinks there is anything down there then it isn't as likely to stick out and people won't think about it which is good for a safe house.

The sun blaze's down on my arms and legs. I will get a magnificent tan from this I think as I carry on down the road towards the town. While I was living in Scotland I hadn't been able to get a tan because it was always so cold and rainy, the sun barely shone and so I had virtually no tan at all.

I carry on at a walking pace until I finally reach the town. It's nothing really, just a grocery store, a hardware store, a small clothing store, hair dressers and a dinner. I walk into the dinner and suddenly remember that I'm in France and my French isn't great, so I just order what I can say, a milk shake. The waitress realises that I can't speak French and so replies in English with the amount due.

I feel bad about this because I also stole some money that I found in one of the gardeners wallets, I fully intend on paying them back with lots of interest though.

I take out my phone and headphones, two bars of signal, thank god.

The same waitress gives me my milkshake,

"There you go" she says smiling, her English is really good she even has a really clear accent

"Thanks, um also, do you guys have wifi here?" I ask hopeful, I just realised that my phone plan won't work in France

"Sorry we don't, but the hair dressers down the street does, your not from around here are you hun?"

"No, I'm just visiting my grandpa" I say smiling

"Oh nice, who's your grandpa? I know everyone in this town" she says chuckling

"Uhhhh," But luckily the bell at the door jungles and so she says

"Sorry, iv'e got to go, enjoy your milkshake"

"Thanks" I reply relieved

I quickly drink my milkshake then leave before the waitress comes back.

I walk down to the hair dressers, the door jingles as I open it and all the ladies look at me, I can just feel my face going red.

"Hi dear, what would you like today?" A lady at the front desk says to me, I walk over to her and luckily everyone just goes back to what they were doing

"Hi, I was actually just wondering if I could use your wifi? I can pay?" I ask

"Oh of course, you can, you don't need to pay, the passwords just up on the wall there" she says and points to where the password is.

"Thanks very much" I say gratefully then I put the password into my phone and walk out of the shop to sit on the bench outside.

I must just not look French at all because the first words she said to me where in English not French.

I face time Lucas, he answers straight away.

"Lia? What are you doing? Your Dad said that you wouldn't have any-"

I cut him off,

"Hi Lucas, how are you?"

"I'm alright, I miss you though" He adds the last past and looks a bit self-conscious

"I miss you too" I say smiling and feeling super happy inside, "Are you sure you're alright though? You're not just saying it?"

He smiles then says, "Yeah, I'm fine honestly. How have you been?"

"Iv'e been alright, ish. I really miss being in Italy, France is amazing though"

"I thought you weren't meant to leave-" Lucas starts but then gets cut off by Leo

"Lia! What the hell are you doing! Where are you!" Leo yells while taking the phone off Lucas and then starts walking from the living room to my Dad's office.

"Leo, no!" I yell then suddenly become aware that people can hear me from inside the salon so then I angrily whisper, "Leo, stop! Don't be a snitch and tell my Dad!"

Leo doesn't reply verbally, instead I hear him knock on my Dad's office door and then he looks at me like a little sister looks at an older brother when she gets him in trouble.

"What!" I hear my Dad's voice yell

Just as I see my Dad's angry face when he sees that it's me on the phone, I remember I can hang up so I do. It won't solve my problem long term but it will make me feel better right now.

I take a few deep breaths, I Know I'm going to get in a huge amount of trouble for this, I mean it was a stupid thing to do but I guess love makes you do stupid things. Wait what! I think to myself. Love! No I don't love Lucas, I just like him, right?

My phone starts ringing

Do I pick up?

Yes, I should, if I don't my Dad will just get madder

I pick up then brace for an explosion of anger, but instead I get a calm voice which is kind of scarier.

"Lia, I don't like that you have disobeyed my direct orders of not leaving the safe house but I do understand that you must be lonely. Alessandro and Santino have been in New York on a job but I will pull them out and get them to go pick up your friends from Scotland and take them to France. They can stay in France for two weeks and during that time you have to promise me that you won't leave the grounds once, is that a deal?"

"Uh, yes! Yes that's great thank you so much!" I say really excited

"Good. They'll be there later tonight. Now go back and don't be seen by too many people" He says sternly.

"I won't, thank you!"

"Your welcome, bye" He says then hands the phone back to Leo.

"I tried to get him to send Lucas to but he said that Lucas still wasn't well enough, in two weeks he will be though" Leo says smiling as he walks out of the office

"Thanks" I say truely thankful, "Okay, I got to go and tell Drew, bye"

"Bye" he says then I hang up