21

Christian

"I wonder what mother has planned for us tonight

"I wonder what mother has planned for us tonight." Brad spoke as he straightened up his tie in my bathroom mirror. I wasn't sure why he decided to get ready at my place instead of his, but I sort of enjoyed the company. It reminded me of the when we were back in college living together.

It felt like I only ever saw him in work mode these days. I missed those old days... when he liked banging chicks and wouldn't be caught dead wearing a tie. Brad was a shit ton more fun back then.

"I don't understand why she wants to meet Alex. She hasn't given a shit about any of my previous assistants before."

"Ironically, neither have you. I'm not sure if you noticed this but Alex is already in the running to become one of the longest assistants you've had. Shit, even I'm curious." Brad countered.

I hadn't really thought about that before. Alex was essentially doing two jobs now, so I hadn't given him as large of a load, like I did with my previous assistants. For some reason, they just weren't as enjoyable as Alex was. He was defiant in every possible way he could be. He kept things interesting for me.

"Half of those assistants were hand picked by mother." Brad reminded me.

"Half of those assistants didn't have one thought of their own. They did everything I said without questioning it."

"Isn't that... what an assistant is supposed to do?" He asked as he started in on styling his hair.

Brad always did the most when we were going to visit mother. I'd wear sweatpants to see her, if I could. There was just that slight underlying fear of what she'd do to me if I did... maybe strangle me with the drawstrings, who knows. This woman would get creative. I instead opted in for a nice sweater and some dress pants.

"I could've told some of those women to jump off a cliff, and they'd do it. I want someone with pushback. Someone I can bounce ideas off of." I explained.

"Someone who can put you in your place." Brad joked. I shot him a look. In some ways he was right, but I wasn't about to openly admit that.

"I'm already in my place as the head of this company." I reminded him. He rolled his eyes at me. Brad knew I never wanted to run this stupid company to begin with. If I had it my way, I would be sipping margaritas on the beach somewhere with a handful of fine women.

But alas, we were here now.

There wasn't really any going back, and somewhere along the way, this company had grown on me.

I was the successor... and I had put far too many sleepless nights into making this business expand. I didn't do all that just to watch it tank.

Did I mention the checks were nice?

Cause the checks were real nice.

"I want someone who's actually interested in what we do here. Someone who isn't afraid to give input. Alex is that person." I explained. Brad gave me a funny look.