51

Alex

I woke up Saturday morning feeling refreshed

I woke up Saturday morning feeling refreshed. To be quite honest, I couldn't remember the last time I stayed in on a Friday night. When my alarm went off, I almost didn't recognize my cognitive being.

Usually my alarm and I had to square up on Saturday mornings. This time, I managed to turn it off without hitting that snooze button, or completely knocking it off the side table.

A goddamn miracle if I do say so myself.

Christian hadn't responded to the text I sent him, and in comparison to how promptly he usually responded to me, I was a little worried. With everything going on, I understood that he was most likely busy... but that didn't make me miss him any less. With the Gala being tomorrow, I did my best not to bother him too much.

That didn't stop my heart from fluttering when my phone vibrated with a new message.

When I glanced down at the screen, I noticed it wasn't from Christian, but rather Derek. He had sent me a meme. If I wasn't waiting for Christian to return my text, I probably would have enjoyed the meme. Instead, I was more annoyed at the fact that it wasn't from Christian. I'm whipped, I know.

Before I could reply to Derek's text, my phone started ringing. This time, it was Joan.

"Hey beautiful." I chirped into the line.

"Well hey there handsome. Why do you sound so alive right now?" Joan asked.

"Let me tell you about this sleep I got last night." I replied. Joan chuckled through the line.

"No late night escapades?"

"I'm getting old, sweetie. Damn near threw my back out early last week. I think I'm done with the bars and the heavy drinking." I explained.

"You aren't even close to thirty, Alex, but okay. Regardless, I'm glad to hear you're working towards taking better care of yourself. I was just calling to see if you were still going to help me with baking some pies? I was going to donate them to a few shelters in the area."

I glanced over to check the date on my alarm. Sure enough, Joan was right. She had asked me to help about a month back, and I had told her I'd lend a hand today.

"Absolutely. Let me get this apartment cleaned up and situated, then I'll take a quick shower and be on my way. Do you need me to bring anything?" I asked her.

"Nahh, I got everything yesterday. Just bring your fine ass self on over, sugar." Joan replied. That brought a smile to my lips.

"You never fail to raise my self esteem." I replied gingerly.

"I try my best, love. Now go do what you need to do, and come keep me company while I do practically all the cooking myself."

"I'll help a little." I butted in.