Congratulations

It had been three months since Heather left town. Cheryl and Toni had never been closer. Toni's relationship with Chuck was good but not great. Toni had been increasingly more dedicated to school and her flourishing friendship with Cheryl. She wanted to be around for the redhead since she was still recovering from her unexpected breakup. Chuck felt like he was becoming second best to Cheryl.

Toni explained over and over again that Cheryl needed her right now but it was only half the truth. Every day Toni spent with Cheryl, her feelings grew that much stronger. Since her breakup, Cheryl had become more open and Toni loved every new tidbit she found out about the redhead.

There were also moments between them. They would be talking about something and Toni would find herself staring at Cheryl's lips. Cheryl would often do the same thing. They both would never forget how kissing each other had felt all those months ago at Archie's party. They were both dying to kiss each other again, but Toni was still with Chuck and she would never be unfaithful.

Another month had passed and it seemed that Chuck and Toni couldn't reach a compromise and they saw each other less and less. Either Chuck was busy with football practice or Toni was worried about studying for one of her AP exams. They decided to take another break to figure out what they really wanted.

The school year was two thirds over, and they were getting closer to Spring Break. Cheryl would be throwing her annual Spring Break pool party at Thornhill mansion and the entire senior class was invited. Toni was excited but she was also anxious to receive her status letter from Cal Arts.

Cheryl was happy with how close she and Toni were getting. Toni eased the pain of losing Heather. Through some self reflection she realized that there was some relief when Heather had moved away. She had still been conflicted about Heather sharing such a personal secret but had pushed those thoughts down when they decided to continue their relationship. Now that she had some perspective, she was glad that the relationship ended on a positive note. If she had continued to push down her true feelings, she would've turned resentful. Heather didn't deserve that.

Cheryl was also happy because she had been admitted to Highsmith College, her mother's alma mater, and part of the Blossom's legacy. She was a shoe in of course with her astounding GPA, attendance and extracurriculars but it still felt good when she read the word "congratulations." Toni had told her about her dreams of attending Cal Arts and Cheryl had no doubt in her mind that she would be accepted. Her portfolio had been of the highest caliber and all the photos were so potent in their artistry that they brought tears to Cheryl's eyes. Toni was undeniably talented.

But there was a part of Cheryl that was irrefutably sad about Toni's college choice. Highsmith was in New York and Cal State was in California. They'd be a whole country apart. Something deep in Cheryl's soul told her that being away from the girl was not right, that they were supposed to stay close together but she chalked it off as her ever growing crush.

Spring Break rolled around and the students were thrilled for a break and even more excited for the blowout that was sure to be Cheryl's party. The day of, Toni was pacing around the living room, looking out the window for the mailman. All her friends had already heard from the colleges they applied to except for her. She was a little out of her mind with anxiety. It was also already one thirty in the afternoon and Cheryl's pool party had started at noon. Cheryl was surely upset.

She practically launched herself out of the door when she saw the postman and didn't even go back inside to open the letter stamped with the Cal Arts insignia. As she read the first line, she started to cry.

---

Cheryl was seated at the victorian chaise lounge at the head of the pool, looking like a queen in all her glory behind Dolce and Gabbana sunglasses. The entire senior class was there, except the one person she really wanted to see. Okay, maybe she really wanted to see Toni in a bathing suit but still, the party had started two hours ago, where was she?