four

Hanna immediately looked up and scanned her surroundings to see who had put the note in her locker

Hanna immediately looked up and scanned her surroundings to see who had put the note in her locker. Everyone looked pretty much normal and there was not a single person who looked suspicious in the least. It might as well be a joke from one of the girls, probably because of what she had said during their 'meeting'; that thing had happened about a week ago and she had even forgotten about it. It was most probably a joke, she surmised and quickly folded the note, grabbed her Statistics textbook and locked her locker. Then she headed to her class; she was going to think about it later, for the time being she had other things to do.

Exiting classroom Block A, she hurried to Block B passing by the field where a number of girls were playing a friendly game of soccer.

After a couple of dribbles, shoots and a missed goal the ball was goal kicked and flew in the air, heading straight for Becca, who was standing near the 'touch line'. She only had a few meters to run to catch it. So backwards she went, eyes on the ball, waiting to head or kick it, whichever the situation called for. The ball came right at her, and she kicked it to her nearest teammate, right before she bumped backwards into someone and they both fell down, books and papers falling with them.

Becca sat up immediately, a triumphant smile on her face. "I got it." She roared and fist pumped. Then she turned to see who she had collided with. "Gee, isn't it a surprise 'bumping' into you?" She squealed sarcastically.

"Ugh! What's the surprise in that?" Hanna muttered gathering her books and papers together.

"Sorry about this." Becca apologized while helping her. "See, I apologized, it wasn't that hard. How about you try it?"

"You were the one who bumped into me. I don't need to apologize for anything." They both stood up and Hanna took the rest of her books from Becca. "Let's put as much distance between us as possible, shall we? I don't enjoy the thought of running into you again." Then she walked away without as much as a glance.

"Humph." Becca grunted at her retreating form. "And a good day to you too." She rolled her eyes and took a step, hearing a little crunch from under her foot. Moving her foot revealed a folded, pink post-it note. She picked it up and scanned the field for Hanna but she was gone. Shrugging she opened the note and froze as she read the words. She looked back up to see if Hanna was returning, maybe she had realised that she had left without her note, but there was no sign of her. Becca turned back to the words that were facing her.

So Hanna had been right after all, there was a thief amongst them. But why had it taken her so long to contact Hanna? And why was she asking to meet at such a secluded place and at midnight too? Then it hit her; Hanna had said she had evidence of the theft and whoever it was, was probably meeting her to bribe her with the heels she had demanded. Becca smirked; that wasn't going to happen on her watch. She, Becca was going to find out who the thief was before Hanna did and then report her to the authorities. That will mean one less person to compete for the crown with, and who knows, they might even confer the crown on her for her good deed of revealing the thief. She could just taste the victory.

"Are you okay?"

Becca came out of her reverie to see her friend, Chelsea staring at her. "Yeah." She quickly composed herself and wiped the smile off her face. "Why would you ask that?"

"Err, you were standing there with a stupid look on your face and I was wondering if I needed to send you to the clinic."

"Don't worry. I'm good. Very good in fact."

"Want to share the reason for this excitement?"

"No, not yet at least. But you're going to find out soon. Give me till tomorrow morning, then you'll find out."

"Okay." Chelsea said uncertainly. "If you say so."

"I'm serious." Her smile returned. "Just trust me."

A/N: Hey guys, sorry for the short chapter. So ... who do you think is going to meet the thief? I would love to hear your thoughts. A vote and/or a comment is all it takes if you're enjoying this story. Till next time, 'annyeong'. ⭐ ⭐⭐