eighteen

Breakfast during the weekend was usually light-hearted, with people making plans on how to spend their weekend and releasing all the stress they accumulated during the week

Breakfast during the weekend was usually light-hearted, with people making plans on how to spend their weekend and releasing all the stress they accumulated during the week. And after breakfast, came the distribution of gadgets by Dorm Supervisors.

Maybe it was because they had lost two mates during the week or maybe because they were in-between mid-terms and had to study, but whatever the reason, the atmosphere in the cafeteria was a dull one. It was as if there was an impending doom, and everyone could feel it. The usual banter was left to inaudible conversations and no one felt the urge to go beyond that.

Vicky walked into the cafeteria, her eyes scanning the crowd, searching. The search came back negative and as she turned to leave, she came face-to-face with Maya sucking on a lollipop. "Hey, you're Maya, right? You are one of the contestants for the Ms. Delta competition?"

"You mean 'was'. I don't know if you've heard but the competition was annulled." She added for emphasis, "Days ago."

"Oh sorry. I just wanted to ask if you've seen Hanna around."

"Don't know, don't care. We're not exactly friends to know each other's whereabouts." Vicky was about to speak, presumably to ask another question when Maya signalled to someone in a distance. "Hey, Miley. This girl over here has some questions for you."

Miley was almost at a table with Alex, both of them, carrying trays of food. Miley reluctantly walked over to Maya and Vicky, Alex in tow. "What is it?"

Maya took out the lollipop and said in a lazy voice. "She's asking about Hanna. Wants to know if you've seen her around."

"Why would she ask me that? Hanna and I aren't exactly friends."

Maya chortled. "That's the exact same thing I told her."

"Well I just wanted to know if you've seen her that's all, I haven't seen her since she left our room before lights out last night."

"You mean she didn't sleep in her bed last night?" Alex asked and they all looked at her as if seeing her for the first time, even Miley. "Sorry, just couldn't keep from asking."

"Yeah, she asked me not to wait up for her so I thought she would probably sneak in at midnight. But I woke up this morning and her bed was still empty, just exactly how she had left it yesterday." There was worry in her voice.

"Maybe the Louboutin Killer got to her." Maya joked and burst into a fit of chuckles.

"Ha, funny." Miley drawled but Maya just kept on laughing.

Just as Vicky was about to say a word, a piercing scream cut through the cafeteria, catching everyone's attention. Seconds later, one of the lunch ladies came running in from the back. The cafeteria was as silent as a grave so everyone heard every word and every stutter that fell from her lips. "T-there's a, t-there's a dead girl in the walk-in freezer."