twenty-two

Maya stood behind the security chamber where the room containing computers connected to all the cameras on campus was

Maya stood behind the security chamber where the room containing computers connected to all the cameras on campus was. She glanced at her watch, 23:45. She had said midnight, but she was beginning to wish she had made their meeting time an hour before that.

Only one guard was on duty and he was in the room, alone; the others were not on campus and she had a chance now they were all away since she didn’t know when they would be arriving. She glanced at her watched again, 23:50. Where the hell was she? Maya finally agreed on giving Miley three more minutes to show up before she went on a solo mission.

Another glance told her 23:52 and was about moving when she felt someone join her from behind. She didn’t turn to check who it was. “Took you long enough.”

Miley had taken Maya’s advice to dress in not so bright clothes and opted for their school’s dark blue tracksuit and a pair of black sneakers. Her curly hair had been tied up with a bandana into a messy bun. Maya also wore her tracksuit although her jacket had been replaced with a black top, complete with running shoes and her hair in a black beanie. They did look like robbers though, except they weren’t going to steal any valuables.

“By my watch, I am early, so you should rather be grateful. I almost left you to yourself.”

“I was going by myself anyway, until you showed up.”

“Whatever, so what’s the plan?”

“There’s only one guard on duty and he’s in the room with the computers connected to the security cameras. I have no idea what time the rest will be returning but my guess is that it won’t be long from now. We need to get him out of there,” She pointed to the entrance of the room. “for some time, just enough for one of us to get in and download the footage of that night. Then afterwards we meet at the abandoned science lab.”

“Wait a minute. You want us to meet at a crime scene? Where someone was murdered?”

“Well, do you want us to go back to the Dorms?”

“Fair enough. But who is going to get the video?”

“I was thinking you could do it.”

“Me? Go in there? And when the plan backfires, I’m caught in there, stealing security footage? Hell no.”

“The plan isn’t going to backfire.”

“I’m still not going in there. It’s your idea, you do it.”

“Fine.” Maya agreed, a little too readily. 

“You must really want to see that video. But then again, how am I going to distract him from his station?”

“Get to one or more of the security cameras a little far from here and destroy them. Throw a stone at them or something. Just make sure you cause some damage. And don’t be in the sight of the camera. We don’t want the authorities to find a video of you damaging school property.”