eight

"Well? Isn't anyone going to say something?" Everyone was dead silent, looking anywhere but at Hanna

"Well? Isn't anyone going to say something?" Everyone was dead silent, looking anywhere but at Hanna. "Come on, who killed Be-"

"Hanna Mills, Maya Peake, Kellan Jackson and Miley Churchill, report to the school auditorium for the general assembly now." Principal Knox's voice boomed over the school's PA System. "You have exactly two minutes, or it's suspension for all of you."

They looked at each other in silence, as if conveying messages with their eyes.

Hanna broke the silence, her voice serious. "Whatever we talked about here, stays here. We are not to speak about it to anyone no matter how close. And this conversation is not over yet. Understand?" They nodded dismissively and then Hanna made the first move and walked out, followed afterwards by Miley, Maya then Kellan.

It seemed like the entire school had been waiting for them because when they entered the enormous auditorium, it was so silent you could literally hear a pin drop; that is, if someone decided to drop one. Principal Knox, surprisingly dressed in her usual two piece suit, stood on the stage platform, her laser eyes burning holes through them as they walked past. With her, sitting on the platform, were a couple of other teachers who lived on campus, all of them still in their sleepwear and looking like they would rather be in their beds at the moment. Avoiding their Principal's gaze and looking in the crowd of seated students who all had their attention on them, they each found, with a little struggle, their friends and roommates and sat beside them.

"Has she said anything worthwhile so far?" Hanna settled down and whispered to Victoria who was unwrapping a candy.

"No." She put the candy in her mouth. "We've just had a roll call and waited for you."

"That's it?" Hanna was unimpressed.

"Yeah, that's it."

Hanna frowned and slouched in her seat, annoyed.

After Principal Knox had scanned the crowd and deemed everyone present, she tapped the mic to check if it worked. A thumping sound came from the speakers as proof. "Hello, students." Her stern voice came next.

"Hello, Principal Knox." The girls chorused.

"I am sure all of you by now know why we are assembled here. Today we've gotten word that a student of ours, our star sports student, was found dead in the abandoned science lab around midnight, by a fellow student."

Sobbing noises came from the front of the auditorium and with a closer look, Hanna could see Becca's best friend and roommate Chelsea crying her eyes out and being comforted by those around her.

Principal Knox went on, her tone unchanging. "In light of this - for a lack of a better word - tragedy, the school's lights out curfew is going to be strictly implemented. Anyone not found in their Dorms and rooms after lights out will be severely punished; suspension is certainly a possibility. The Ms. Delta competition will still go on as planned and I would like to emphasize on the 'no cheating' rule. That would also attract a punishment. You are also reminded of your upcoming midterms." A small groan escaped from the girls which was promptly ignored. "I suggest you prepare very well because it promises to be tough. To the student who found Becca's body, I'm letting you off with a warning - no midnight walks for you again else you're not going to have it easy at all. Girls, after here, you should all return to your rooms and sleep, classes will start at 8:00AM as usual and no one should be late. That is all for now. But before we leave let's have a minute of silence for the soul of our departed friend, classmate and student."