Chapter 8

Three days later I was on my way to Conor's house with Hannah after work one night. He was having his friends over one last time before Jack left to go back to England tomorrow morning. Hannah was raving about Anth, her hands gesturing excitedly as I drove.

"...And we just had the best time at the club this past weekend. I seriously owe you for inviting me along." She smiled.

"I'm really glad you guys hit it off. Anth is a great guy." I replied.

"So what did you guys do after we left?" She asked.

Oh, you know. Went back to Conor's place, had sex multiple times, then spent the night with him.

"I didn't leave long after you guys. I was tired so I just took a cab home." I replied.

She made a face. "You didn't stay with Conor?"

"Why would I?" I asked, becoming slightly nervous.

"Nothing. It's just...Jack told Anth that he saw you and Conor leave together. Maybe he was wrong." She said, brushing it off.

"Oh...yeah, I mean we did take a cab together. I had a lot to drink so he went with me and dropped me off first to make sure I got home safely." I said, trying to sound casual.

She nodded at me, hopefully believing my story as I pulled into Conor's driveway. We greeted everyone as we entered, Hannah scurrying off to find Anth as I wandered over to the kitchen where Jack and Conor were talking. They stopped their conversation as I approached them, Conor looking slightly tense and Jack with a cocky smirk on his face.

"Hey, guys." I said cautiously.

"Hey, love!" Jack smiled. "How's it going?"

"Fine." I replied, glancing at Conor who was sipping on a soda.

"You ready to go home tomorrow?"

"I reckon. Although I do love it here." He smiled. "I'll miss you guys until I come back!"

"Don't wait too long! Maybe I can come visit you sometime. I've always wanted to go to London." I smiled.

Conor finally looked over at me, still not speaking though.

"Sure thing! I'd love to show you around the city." Jack replied. Someone called his name shortly after and he wandered off to speak to them.

"You okay?" I asked, turning my attention to Conor. "You're only quiet when you're upset."

"He's not giving me much of a choice but to tell him about what we're doing." Conor mumbled, stepping a little closer so no one could hear us.

"What do you mean?" I asked, my heart rate increasing.

"He knows something is going on and he's trying to back me into a corner so I'll admit it." He sighed.

"Hannah told me that Jack was talking to Anth about us leaving the club together the other night. What did he say to you?" I asked.

"He doesn't believe I came home alone that night, and when I told him we were just friends and nothing more, he said I shouldn't mind if he asked you out, then." He huffed, anger rising in him.

"You know he isn't actually interested in me, Conor. He's still messing with you to get you to admit to something."

"Yeah, but what am I supposed to tell him?" He asked, running his hand through his hair in frustration.

"So tell him you're fine with him asking me out, and if he actually does, I'll just politely decline and tell him it's because we live in different countries." I laughed. "He'd never know the difference...but I'm pretty sure he's bluffing, anyway."