𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞. 𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐬𝐭𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐲

-

-

THE NEXT DAY I WOKE FOR SCHOOL, mind still reeling at Christian's words from last night. It doesn't make sense, like, at all. I got ready, the same as every other day, grabbing my books and shoving them in my bag as I rushed out the door, slightly late considering I needed to walk. I could have answered Samuel or Nano's phone call and got a lift to school, but I decided it would be better to leave them alone this morning, and I'd much rather be alone right now anyway. As I walked to school, earphones playing random crap I didn't really care for, I took a different path, heading into a little supermarket to pick up a sandwich and crisps, as well as a chocolate bar and a smoothie. As I resumed my walk, finally escaping the poorer part of town, I could see Las Encinas in the distance, noticing how it looked like such a nice, bright school from far away.

Up close, the reality was very different.

Walking through the front doors of the school, I avoided everyone, head down as I headed towards my locker. I planned on hiding for the rest of the day but changed my mind when I spotted Guzman alone on the stairs, staring down everyone as the past. "Guzman!" I called out, walking directly in his sight so he'd notice me. I sat down beside him, and he turned to me, pull one earphone out of his ear so he could hear me. I leaned my smoothie his away, incase he wanted some, but he shook his head, smiling still. "What's up?" I asked, and he continued smiling softly at me, staring at me as I sat enjoying my smoothie, slurping noises being heard probably all the way down the corridor. "I'm fine. Just listening to some sad music to set the mood." I scoffed at his words, nudging him slightly, "Wow, you're so much fun!" I said, giggling at my own sarcasm. "Wanna listen?" He asked softly, holding the earphone out for me to take.  I took it of course, placing the earphone in my ear as music played quietly, a song that was definitely a mood killer. We sat silently, just enjoying the music, with me resting my head on his shoulder. Out of nowhere, Guzman spoke up, asking me about his Father and whether or not he should visit him. "I would. I'd give him a chance. To explain. To make some sense. He is your father after all. I think you'd regret it if you didn't give him a chance - yes he might be a thief but he's still your family." Guzman looked surprised at my words, as if he expected me to say otherwise. "So you think I should see him?" He asked again, still with that same surprised expression on his face. "I think it's what he'd do for you." I said, standing up as the bell rang, and he stood up too, almost attacking me with his embrace, squashing me slightly as he mumbled out a thank you."Guzman, you're killing me." I croaked out and he let go, realising he was squishing my insides. "You know, you're the only one who's not being weird about this. Carla and Polo are acting strange. The other poor kids are treating me like I'm an asshole. Nadia will barely talk to me. What did I even do?" He asked as we headed to class, his arm draped over my shoulder as I responded, "Nada. None of this is your fault." He smiled at me response just as we headed into the classroom, where I immediately noticed Christian was talking to Carla and Polo. I rolled my eyes as I made my way to my seat, pulling it out it quite a loud way, causing the trio to stare at me, as well as a few other classmates.

"Nos perdonas?" Carla asks, and I listen in, waiting for his response. Christian stands up, smiling confidently as he walks over to Carla. "A ver, cuando sostengo la revista con mi foto, tal vez." Carla smiles widely, pulling him in for a hug as he smiles too. "I'm sorry." Carla said as she held her arms around his head, playing with his hair. "All good?" Polo said, and I saw his face drop as Christian only high fived him. It was clear now, Polo was jealous. At first, I thought maybe he was jealous of Carla giving all her attention to the poor boy Christian. However, looking at it now I could see that he was hurt. Hurt that Christian wasn't giving him attention, although he'd never admit it. We all returned to our seats, our teacher beginning to explain we were going to the library for today's class. As I looked around the room, feeling distracted, I noticed Ander looking increasingly worried as his gaze fell on Omar and Nadia's father outside the window. As he walked past the class, an annoyed expression on his face as he spoke to the principal, Ander began biting his nails, leg bouncing up and down under the table.

Our class headed to the Library not long after it started, and I used that time to speak to the principal about my locker not working, as well as going to the toilet, really needing to pee. This meant that I was the last one to walk into the Library, almost thirty minutes late, which meant that everyone else had found their seats. Somehow, I ended up sitting across from Lú and Carla, my teacher smiling as I sat down, nodding at me as if to encourage me. For about ten minutes, the room was pretty silent, only a few whispers were heard every now and then. This didn't last long however, as out of nowhere my chair was shoved forward, almost squishing me into the table. "Sorry." Marina mumbled as she rushed out of her seat, almost jogging to the bathroom with her hand over her mouth, telling Samuel she felt sick. Both Carla and Lú followed her with their glares, Lú smiling slightly to herself, pen resting on her lips. "What's up with the hippie now?" She whispered to Carla, as if I wasn't there. Not like I wanted to be involved in their shit talking and gossip anyway. "No idea," Carla replied, sighing, "She doesn't tell me anything now. Our friendship last about five minutes." A small smile appears on Lú's face as she looks up at me, scribbling down notes from her laptop. "What a coincidence. Just when the watches went missing." She stares at me daringly, as Carla turns to her in shock. "You can't be serious? Why would Marina steal from us?" Lú continues to stare at me, and Carla follows her eyes to me, scoffing just as Lú began speaking. "For her new friends. Her poor no good friends." Lú smiles at me as Carla stares at me accusingly, and I roll my eyes, continuing with my work on my laptop. "As if her family have no criminal background. Her father is in jail right now?" Lú says quietly, looking around incase Guzman was around, which luckily he was not. Carla shook her head,
leaning back on her chair, mumbling something about Martin, which caused Lú to laugh. "My dear, that just proves she isn't trustworthy. If I were you I'd keep an eye on her. And all her friends." she said, hand waving over to my area where I sat. I stood up abruptly, smile on my face, before holding my middle finger to Lú as I walked out the Library, not even asking my teacher if I could leave.

Since we have gym class next, I decided to walk the corridors, heading towards the changing room just as the bell rang. As I walked into the changing room, I noticed it was just Nadia and Marina, and I was about to tell Marina about Lú and Carla until I noticed the pair were having a serious conversation. Instead, I slowly slipped past them, trying not to bring the attention to me. Nadia noticed me walk in, but continued, "Look, take this number. It's for a clinic. Many Muslim girls use it, they don't even ask you for authorisation even if you are a minor. And before you ask, no, I don't approve. But if you are going to do this, I'd rather you do this properly. Safely. Like my sister." Nadia and Marina hugged, which was nice to see, and I contemplated joining their hug, but decided against it. Just as they pulled away, Guzman stormed in the changing room, calling out for Marina. "Guzman. This is the girls changing room. And I'm fine-" He interrupts her, "I'm going to see Dad today. This afternoon, after school. Mother made it clear she's not coming. Are you?" He asked, almost timidly, and Marina rolled her eyes, approaching Guzman close enough to put her hand on his shoulder. "Tell Dad from me to go to hell." She said as she stormed out, leaving Guzman standing there, mumbling under his breath. Nadia coughed, clearing her throat before speaking up, "If you would like, I can go with you." Guzman smiles at her words nodding, before saying goodbye to the pair of us and heading outside, while Nadia and I head into the gym for our last hour of the day.