06

nikki sobbed her entire way out of the woods, her chest tight, and fists clenched

nikki sobbed her entire way out of the woods, her chest tight, and fists clenched. she could feel the fire burning inside her, desperate to be released. she looked for her husband, she looked for shane. is he still even her husband? nikki wondered to herself, probably not, this was the worst pain she's felt in awhile and he was the main one who started it.

she remembered when she first met shane, it was just a normal tuesday for her. nikki had done her normal routine that day, wake up, get ready, get some coffee to go, and then head to work. the only thing that had been different was taking a short trip to the bank to cash in her paycheck, she always did it the morning after receiving it.

for a long time she regretted deciding to get her coffee after going to the bank due to the fact that while she was waiting in line, a robbery happened. nikki remembered the near deafening gun shot that bounced off of the tall stone walls, the screams of the civilians around her. she had ducked for cover under a table as the man began screaming demands to the bank teller, the young woman was frightened as her shaking hands gave the cash to the man.

the robber was just about to bolt out the front doors when police sirens were heard, and had come to a screeching stop out front the building. in a desperate attempt to gain control, he had dragged nikki out by her hair and placed the cold barrel of the gun against her head, screaming to the officers he would kill her if they didn't step back.

nikki was sobbing, for the first time in her life, she was truly terrified that her life was going to end. she never thought she would end up a hostage on a casual tuesday morning, but there she was.

one officer put down his gun and kicked it away, putting his hands up in an attempt to calm the man. he talked to him, appealed to what he wanted and made promises in response to his demands. the criminal ended up lowering his gun while caught up in talking with the officer, giving his partner the opportunity to fire a shot into his shoulder, ultimately letting go of his hold on nikki and falling to the floor.

she just remembered sobbing into the officers shoulder, nikki was so sure she was going to die that day but she was saved, by officer shane walsh. he got her into therapy after the traumatic incident, helped her around her apartment, started stopping at the bar for a beer that she worked at. they got close lightning fast, to her it felt like nothing could get in the way of their love.

nikki was heartbroken that it took a turn so quickly. once she had slowly stepped out of the woods, sniffling, the barn was just several feet away from her. the scorning sun hit her face, and she winced at the temporary blindness she'd received from it. nikki blinked it away, quickly regaining her vision, she looked ahead once again, and there he was, shane.