08

after a long day, nikki had just got done helping maggie prep for dinner

after a long day, nikki had just got done helping maggie prep for dinner. she always asked for her and carol's help, which we don't mind because it's at least something to do on this farm that we never leave. they had prepared vegetables and soup for dinner, which was delicious as always. the woman dreaded when the food was to eventually expire, knowing that as more time went on, it'll be getting shittier and shittier.

nikki was washing plates in the sink, deep in thought when she looked up and saw the orange sunset beautifully painted in the sky. she couldn't help but stop her chore and let out a breath of surprise, even in a world like theirs nature never failed to be the most gorgeous. she also knew what it meant being sunset, in a few hours, rick was going to kill the guy.

the woman finished cleaning the rest of the dishes before exiting the house, and stepped out onto the porch, she breathed in the pure air, letting the soft breeze hit her face. "it's beautiful out huh?"

nikki jumped slightly at the sudden voice, and whipped her head to the right, it was rick. his body was leaning against the white column, he stared out at the farm, taking in the view just like her.

the woman chuckled softly and crossed her arms, taking a few strides towards him. "it is." she agreed before taking a hesitant pause, "it's almost time. i know this ain't easy."

he turned his head to look at her, and shrugged slightly, "it wouldn't be easy for anyone. but i thought it through, i made the call. i'm ready to do this, everyone's just gonna have to understand."

she nodded in agreement, "i understand more than anyone, rick. if i were to do something like this i'd know i'm making the right decision because it's to protect everyone, especially the children." she leaned comfortably against the railing, "and sometimes, the hard choices have to be made, and everyone including dale just needs to accept that."

rick nodded at what she had to say, agreeing. "having too much mercy means the end of us." he stated confidently, "i can't have that."

he didn't give nikki a chance to reply, as he turned to look at her, placing his hand on her shoulder, "how are you doin'? shane ain't bothering you guys right?"

nikki shook her head, her mind flashing back to her conversation with shane earlier, "no, we're okay. shane's giving me the time i need. which is good." it may not entirely be true, but he didn't need to know that. the woman didn't need any interference from anyone, she could handle herself fine.

rick nodded at her assurance, relieved. "i'm sorry for what shane did to you." he apologized truthfully, "you don't deserve it. no one deserves to go through that."