13

it's been about an hour after the sun rose, the feeling of breathing in the crisp morning air gave me a sense of calm

it's been about an hour after the sun rose, the feeling of breathing in the crisp morning air gave me a sense of calm. who knew it could be a beautiful day even though we just lost everything? all we have are ourselves now, no supplies, our weapons yes but how long until our bullets would begin to run out?

when we finally roll up on the highway, where the 'sophia' car was. this was our meetup spot, everyone would think to come here first.

we all pile out of the car, going towards the one in front of us, which was the 'sophia' one. "wait wheres mom? you said she'd be here! w-we gotta go back for her." carl says, annoyed. at the sound of carl yelling lola puts her face into my stomach, trying to drown out all the arguing. she was tired, i could tell.

"carl-"

"no, why are we running? what are you doing?! it's-its mom. we need to get her and not be safe a mile away!"

rick shushes carl as he puts a hand on his shoulder, "shh, you need to be quiet, all right? please."

carl starts to calm down, "please. it's mom."

rick goes to bend down at carl's level when carl yanks his arm out of his grasp, going back in the car. rick sighs and puts his head down in defeat. this was hard for him, i could tell. i slowly retract lola's hands from my body so i could go to rick, she just stood with hershel.

i place a hand on rick's shoulder, "lemme talk to him, okay?"

rick nods, "okay, thank you."

i go around to the other side of the car, the opposite of where carl was sitting. i open the car door and slip in, closing it shut beside me. he just sat in his seat, holding his gun with his head tilted down. i make a 'tsk' noise with my mouth, "did y'know that i never got to know or truly grow up with my parents?"

carl looks up at me with a confused expression, he raises a brow, "what?"

i took in a deep breath, preparing myself to relate to the little guy, "i was four years old, and karleen was eighteen. my parents were involved in a car crash, they were killed. and my sister karleen, she was the only family that could take me in. it was that or foster care."

i paused for a second before continuing, "she dropped everything and adopted me. shes been there for me for as long as i remember. but the way i see it, carl, some people get lucky, some don't. but you and i?" i let out a soft scoff, "we got some luck with who we had to raise us, if you didn't have your parents and i didn't have karleen, we might've been all sorts of fucked up."