60

my heart pounded with fear, adrenaline was running through my veins, there was no way of stopping this man from coming through the door, i gotta kill him, if we run then it's just one more of them we have to kill

my heart pounded with fear, adrenaline was running through my veins, there was no way of stopping this man from coming through the door, i gotta kill him, if we run then it's just one more of them we have to kill. i whip out my gun and check the magazine, no more bullets. crap.

protect, love, but don't shield. i take a breath and turn my head back towards lola, placing my hands on her shoulders grabbed her attention. she was shaking in fear, tears welled up in her frightened eyes.

"listen—listen to me okay?" i command lola as her small hands clutch onto my waist, i look into her eyes, "you're gonna run into the kitchen and hide behind the far end counter, i'm gonna hide in the bathroom with the door open down that hallway okay?."

"when he comes in and you hear him trying to listen for something—make a thudding noise so he goes toward you. when he goes into the kitchen looking for whatever made the noise i'm gonna jump and kill him, alright?" i cup her cheeks and kiss her forehead, "don't be afraid baby."

she takes in a breath and nods, "i got this mom. i-i do."

"good." i reply, hand signaling her towards the kitchen. lola quickly obeys and runs in there. now to get into my position, i run into the hallway, just when i heard the door bust open.

leaving the bathroom door open, i hide behind it. slowly unsheathing my knife, i hold my breath. just the fact that lola's in danger as of now scares me, but i got this, i do, because i'll always remember what shane told me that night on the field. protect, love, but don't shield.

i heard the slow, heavy footsteps trail around the living room, about the come down this hall when the intentional thud from lola comes from the kitchen. i heard him stop for a couple seconds, then slowly continue towards the kitchen. the footsteps were bone-chilling, but it's time.

carefully, i slip out from behind the door and tip toe as quiet as i could down the hall and into the living room. he was nowhere to be seen in here, so he has to be in the kitchen. i poke my head into the room and saw the tall bloody man walking towards the end of the counters, his back faced toward me.

just as he was about to reach the end, i jump onto his sweaty back with a scream, jabbing the sharp pointed tip deep into his shoulder. he shouts in surprise, and tries to throw me off, but i don't budge. still on his back he slams me into the kitchen counter, the top jammed into my side, leaving immense pain surging through my hip. i slashed my knife into his neck this time, which got him for good.

as he fell forward towards the tile, i yank out my knife and land my feet near both his hips, the pain on my side continued to throb.
i stare at this mans body in slight shock, i haven't killed anyone in months—since terminus, it feels strange now that i did it again, but hell, at this point i'm sorta used to it.