26

Alex

I stared at my alarm clock expectantly as it changed to read 6:29

I stared at my alarm clock expectantly as it changed to read 6:29. I hadn't managed to fall asleep yet, and in about one minute, I was going to need to get up and start getting ready.

I outwardly groaned.

The entire night was wasted on thoughts of Christian. He had officially drove me to the brink of insanity with that kiss. Through the many hours I had stayed awake for, I still hadn't managed to figure out what it meant... what he meant by it. I wasn't sure how I was even going to make it through this work trip without having one awfully dramatic mental breakdown.

The obnoxious sound of the alarm clock going off made me jump, and it ripped my thoughts away from me.

No time for bullshit, I said to myself. I guess it was show time.

-

By the grace of God himself, I managed to get ready in time. Luckily, the procrastinator in me had taken a fucking seat this week, and I ended up packing my bags early. The only thing that was left for me to do was print out some last minute work items, and meet Christian at the airport.

When I made it in to the office around 7:20, I hadn't seen anyone there besides a few janitors. That was why it took me by surprise when I noticed Joan up on the third floor.

"Well hey there stranger, long time no see huh?" Joan joked as she pulled me in for a bone crushing hug.

She hadn't exactly been wrong. Joan had texted me Friday night about going out, but with this Mavericks deal coming into fruition, I hadn't had much time to meet the gang at the bar for drinks. Although I managed to stop by and see them at least once during the day, most of my breaks had been spent putting in overtime with Christian.

I felt a little pang in my heart at her words, when I realized that I had been the one to slip out of our usual routine.

"I promise Joan, as soon as I'm back, it's you and me baby." I gave her a wink. Joan's smile did nothing but grow. I knew this woman would never blame me for a damn thing, but that just made me all the more sensitive to her. Maybe it was the guilt that tripped me up, or the fact that I hadn't had anyone to confide in, but I hadn't exactly meant to say the next few words that stumbled out of me. "So Christian kissed me."

The sip of water Joan was taking, exploded out her mouth and all over her desk. I couldn't help but smile at the all too familiar reaction I had had, when I first accepted the job offer from Christian.

"Run that shit all the fucking way back, he did what?" Joan asked. She had set all the shit she had been working on, down, and her eyes were now fully focused on mine.

"He kissed me." I said hesitantly, "and I'm not sure what for or why, but I've been one hot fucking mess about it all night."

"All night?" She continued as her eyes narrowed. "This happened last night? And you didn't fucking call me?"