Hidden Sadness

Owen's POV

My pen rolled over the pages of the report from our latest mission until it clattered to the ground. I stared at my pen, but my mind was elsewhere. Another failed family. Questions raced through my mind. Was I too formal? Did I push him too far? Did I even let him see who I really am? That he could lean on me?

Sorry, but I don't want to be in your family.

Those words echoed inmy head. My eyes were tired. I rubbed my eyes before brushing my hair back. With a glance at the clock, my shoulders slumped forward. It was early in the morning- 2:46. Snoring to my right showed a fast asleep Sean. Dark bags from late shifts at work and stress were under his eyes. He too was disappointed when the boy we tried to bring into our team decided to join another family. Sean tried to cover his sadness and disappointment with laughter and smiles, but after being friends with him for six years, I knew that his smiles were a mask. He always wanted more brothers yet I keep failing. If it wasn't for our deep friendship, I would fear that I would lose him and be alone once again.

My cellphone lit up, buzzing against the wood coffee table. My eyebrows furrowed at the sight of the caller id. Picking it up, I answered, "Dr. Roberts."

His warm voice spoke in my ear, calming me slightly. "Owen, I heard what happened. I'm sorry."

I cleared my throat to get rid of the lump that had formed. "Thank you, Dr. Roberts. I am just glad he was able to find another team than to be unhappy with mine."

He sighed, suddenly sounding tired. "I'm glad that you feel that way. Kyle called me to tell you that he is sorry and thank you for looking out for him. How is Sean holding up?"

I looked over to where Sean was laying. He was still in the same position, but his eyes were open and focused on me. "Disappointed but holding up."

Dr. Roberts seemed sad for us. "I know that you two will find a family. It will come to you."

"I appreciate it." I turned the phone on speaker.

Sean sat up and leaned forward with his elbows on his knees. His eyes were full of concern. "Phil, is there an emergency?"

"No,no," he spoke. After a few moments, he continued. "I know you guys have just finished a mission but one popped up. You're the only team available for such short notice."

I felt my eyebrows rise. "What's the mission?"

"It is at a local high school. Strange things are happening there. Items were missing. Grades being changed. Fights but no evidence of it. Missing money. Large amounts of drugs found on the premise. This school is a mess, Owen. I don't know why or how this wasn't looked at sooner. I need you two to go in as counselors and teachers to discover what is happening."

Sean and I looked at each other, and Sean shrugged. "How many favors will we get?"

"Five each." He said, making me blink. This mission was definitely important to have so many favors.

"Why so many?" Sean asked, suspicious.

"There is a person who wants this mission over as soon as possible," Dr. Roberts spoke. He was hiding something, but knowing him it would be for the right reasons.

I looked at Sean who shrugged as to say "it's your call." I rolled my eyes at him and focused on my phone. "We accept."

Dr Roberts grunted. "Thanks. Also look for some recruits. There's bound to be some worthy people in that school."

I shared another look at Sean. "We will."