Guide

Owen POV

I had lost sight of Sean almost immediately after we plunged into the crowd. I've seen many things during my years on Academy missions but this experience was worse than fourteen year old pubescent Sean reviewing the sexual reproductive organs for an exam. Girls barely clothed tried to cling to me, and one even ran her fingers she had just licked through my hair. One hard glare at her sent her running but people still crowded around me.

I was being pushed in the direction of the crowd when a pair of hands grabbed me and pulled me through the crowd. I wasn't' able to see much other than his blonde hair pulled into a man bun and the back of his baby blue shirt. The Samaritan pushed his way through the crowed before flinging me forward. The motion was so unexpected that I stumbled, surprised that was akin to being spit out of a whale's spout. I also didn't enjoy the fact that Sean had navigated through the crowd and to the principal's office before me. And the fact that he was smirking.

I straightened my suit and my hair before glaring at Sean to keep this moment quiet. We stepped through the doors to hear yelling inside the office further in. My eyes went immediately to the receptionist. She was shifting nervously, her eyes wandering to the student sitting in the seats, the office behind her, and now towards us. A wobbly smile appeared on her face. "Good morning. How can I help you?"

Ignoring the yelling, I spoke. Why was that man yelling so loudly? "Yes, my name is Owen Blackbourne. My associate Dr. Sean Green and I are here to talk to a Principle Hendricks."

She smiled. "Of course. Please, sit, and I'll notify Mr. Hendricks of your arrival."

I gave her a grateful nod. "Thank you."

We sat in the available seats next to the boy. His hair was brown and flopped over his forehead. His eyes were closed, and a pair of black eyeglasses similar to mine were sliding down his nose. He wore a green utility jacker over a forest green t-shirt and black jeans. When we sat down, his eyes opened. Emerald green eyes looked at us in suspicion and interest.

Before any of us could speak, the door to the office opened, and a man stepped out. He was tall with a receding hair line. Brown eyes stared with a hard expression. I've seen hard expressions but his were almost as if he hated everything, even the very air we breathed. His eyes flickered to the student sitting next to me, and his lips turned downward. "Mr. Blackbourne. Dr. Green, thank you for being here. Unfortunately, I'm in a very important meeting right now. This student will show you around and get you settled. Forgive me, but I need to get back."

He went back inside before we could even nod. Appalled by his rudeness, I turned towards Sean who looked as lost as I felt inside. Of course, I didn't show it. I turned towards our guide who was giving us a fake smile. "Hey, I guess I am your guide. I'm Kota. Kota Lee."

He looked tough. Not the bad boy who fight for a wrong look but like he went through hard situations and came out more closed than ever. His eyes looked at us with weariness, skepticism, and warning.

I stepped forward, bringing my hand up slowly to show him I didn't pose a threat. "I'm Owen Blackbourne, and this is my associate Dr. Sean Green."

He shook our hands. The rough feeling on the palm of his hands told me that he worked a lot with his hands, but the sight of his knuckles told me that he fought recently. He let go of my hand before giving Sean a hasty shake. "Well, let's go."

My curiosity rose when I noticed that students seemed to fight to get away from this student. Who was he to hold such power over these students? A glance at Sean told me that he's seen this before and was also curious. For thirty minutes, he gave us a tour of the school.

The school was in great need of repair. What interested me was were the 1.4 million tax payers money that was given to the school for repair and updating went because it obviously wasn't used to better this building. Kota was a man of few words, saying the least amount of words that answered our questions. When Sean asked him why students seem to be scared of him, he said that it was because he was popular. But I had a feeling that that wasn't the complete explanation.

He led us down a hallway that seemed like paradise. There were no other students in the area. He pointed us towards a door. "That's your office. There are two sets of a computer, desk, chair, and paper in there for you two. Your keys to the office are in there too." His phone buzzed, and Kota looked at his text. Smoothly he slid it back into his pocket and looked at us. "I have to leave. Welcome to Ashley Waters, and good luck because you're going to need it."

He disappeared back down the way we walked. I started to walk towards our office when something caught my attention. "Psst. Hey you, guy in the suit and blondie. Come here."