Mysterious behavior

Owen POV

I stared at the files. Principal Hendricks had given me fifteen files total. Both Sean and I have met seven of them recently. Lucian Taylor who pulled me from the crowd. Dakota "Kota" Lee who seemed to instill fear in students. Nathan Griffin who knew a student had been talking to us right before he appeared. Gabriel Coleman who was able to fight two boys both bigger than him and come out victorious. North Taylor who knew Gabriel and seems to be caught up in something suspicious. Silas Korba who obviously was injured by a knife. Victor Morgan who was a rich piano prodigy that came to a delinquent school like this. The seven of them seem to be different.

The files on them were interesting. All of them had good grades and were in the top ten students yet their files were filled with inconsistent and suspicious activity. There were records of leaving class early without permission, several records of fights, not showing up to class, and more, but there was no mention of any punishments received.

I leaned forward, rubbing my temples. There was so much stress on me right now. With this mission. With the failure of bringing more family members in our team. Despite Sean's assurance, I feel as if it was my fault. If only I could open up more to others.

Flipping open the other files on my desk, I turned to look at the students I were advising. Along with the seven, there was Ms. Karen, Greg, Jade and her brother Jay, Rocky, Mike, Jeremy, and Wil Winchester. Karen was a girl who was made fun of because she came out as lesbian recently. Greg was a drug carrying delinquent and regular detention student. Jade was the captain of the cheerleading squad. Her brother Jay and Rocky were part of the football team. Mike and Jeremy were recorded as flirts who didn't have any life ambitions, and Wil Winchester was bright but bullied.

A knock on my door diverted my attention from these students. Straightening my tie, I opened the door to reveal a flustered Ms. Gulliver who had given me the files. In her hands was another file. Her eyes darted behind her. "Mr. Blackbourne, Principal Hendricks wanted to give you this student and I forgot to give you her file."

I nodded, taking the file from her hands. "Thank you."

She looked at me from behind her glasses. "Mr. Blackbourne, would you like to have lunch wi-"

A notification from my cellphone interrupted her. Pulling my cellphone out of my pocket, I read a message from Sean. I refrained from twitching my eye at his text.

Sean: Ooowwweeennnn, have lunch with me, k? won't take no for an answer! <3<3<3<3

I almost smiled at his ridiculousness before I reminded myself of Ms. Gulliver in front of me. "I have to refuse. My colleague is waiting for me."

She blushed before muttering something and rushing off. Although I knew she was interested in me, I wasn't very interested in women who were older than me by ten years. I wasn't very picky when it came to dating. I frowned, crossing my arms. I don't remember the last time I went on a real date that I forgot what my type was. What was my type?

My phone buzzed again. I rolled my eyes at Sean's message which was asking me where I was. I laid down the file Ms. Gulliver had given to me before grabbing my blazer. I glanced at the name on the file before walking out of the office, locking the door behind me. Hmm, what an odd name.

Sean POV

After rearranging the supplies in the nurse's office, I had just sat down when the door opened. A boy staggered in, holding his hand to his chest. His brown hair covered his eyes, and his clothes were very loose on his frame. The thinness of his wrist concerned me as to if he was getting enough nutrients. "What can I do for you?"

The boy looked up, showing his dull brown eyes. "I fell and injured my wrist."

I nodded, grabbing some supplies while he sat down on a cot. Taking his hand in mine, I inspected his injury. It was red and slightly swollen, but the bone was not broken. I turned to grab some supplies. "It's just a sprain. It'll hurt now but it will heal in a few days."

He shrugged as if it didn't matter to him. I frowned at his behavior. "What's your name?"

He glanced at me before looking at the ground. "Wil Winchester."

I handed him a pain reliever and a small bottle of water. "How long have you attended this school?"

He chugged down the water, showing me he was dehydrated. "Been here since I started high school."

I smiled with my usual friendliness. "Do you think you can explain some things to me?"

His brown eyes looked at me in suspicion. "Depends. What do you want to know?"

I started to wrap his hand. "I want to know what's up with Gabriel Coleman and Kota Lee. Are they part of the same group?"

Wil looked around him to make sure no one was overhearing us. "They are. There are seven in that group. Kota. Gabriel. Luke. North. Silas. Victor. And Nathan. I went to the same elementary school and middle school with them. Well, North and Silas came later. They are nice but odd."

I tilted my head. "Odd?"

He nodded. "When I grew up along with them, they seemed normal but during middle school, something happened and they changed. When they got here, they seemed to already be in control of the school. They follow someone around."

My interest peaked. From what I saw, I wouldn't think that they were following someone else. I would have thought that either Kota or Victor would be leading their group. "Who are they following?"

Suddenly, Wil jumped up. His hand was done but his sudden move shocked me slightly. His eyes were shifting wildly, and I noticed a bruise peeking from the collar of his shirt. A bruise that looked rectangular was on his back and curved on his shoulder. Before I could say anything, he was backing away. "I already said too much."

With that, he ran out of my office, leaving me confused. What the hell happened? Feeling as if I need to tell Owen this, I pulled my phone out of my pocket when I noticed the time. It was almost lunch. Typing in a message, I walked into the corridors and started towards the cafeteria. I looked at my phone. I knew that he read my message but he didn't text back. I rolled my eyes. Typical Owen behavior.

The sight of the sky made me pause and rethink my day. I stood in the hallway by the windows overlooking the courtyard. We have been here at this school for almost five hours and I'm already hating this mission. I was even attacked by a cheerleader who tried to snake her hand down my pants. I shivered, this school was one of the worst I've ever been to.

I sighed, gazing at the tree in the middle of the courtyard. There was a table there, and despite the overflow of teenagers in the courtyard, no one made a move to take the table. I felt my curiosity rise. I grimaced. I never believed in the phrase "curiosity killed the cat", but considering this school, it might happen.

My eyes drew to the commotion towards the doors of the courtyard leading from the cafeteria. The crowd of students seemed to part as if they were trying to get out of the way. And in the middle were the seven boys who Owen and I met. They seemed to intimidate both the students and the faculty although they had been nothing but nice towards me. I felt my eyebrows raise towards my hairline as I saw an eight person in their midst. My interest peaked when I noticed a new member to the group. He was smaller than the others and thin. He wore a dark hoodie with its hood covering his face. I tilted my head. So this is the mysterious leader I've heard so much about?

what do you guys think?? They are introduced to the mysterious leader the seven are following. Why do you guys think the boys changed? Tell me what you think. I love reading your comments.

<3 Azallya