Dorm Room 210: A Music Festival

Author note: This chapter has been revised and edited. Updated in 2017

Chapter 4:

A Music Festival

A couple of days later, Nicole and Rachel arrive at the dorm looking dressier than usual.

"Morning," I say and blink as they came inside."What's going on?"

"There's a festival happening," says Rachel. "I only just found out 'cause someone forgot to mention it."

Nicole rolls her eyes and sits on the edge of my bed. "You went to your room early. And I forgot. Bite me, Rach."

I hug myself as Rachel sits beside me, aware of my kitten shorts and tank top. Nicole's eyes find mine and she shrugs before I can say anything. "So what's this festival about?" I ask.

Rachel tosses her flats to the corner of Noah's bed. "It's this thing they do once a semester. I've read about it. The art class is hosting it."

"Music class," Nicole corrects. She jumps on Noah's bed and I try not to flinch as the cover creases. "It starts at seven until two. We already missed an hour from getting ready."

"Okay, what does this have to do with me?"

The two girls give each other glances until Nicole says, "Do I have to spell it out for you?"

I shrug helplessly. Rachel laughs like I said something funny. "We're friends, silly!" She taps me on my shoulder and slides closer. She smells like lemon, a contrast to the cinnamon lingering in the bathroom. "Since you're part of the group now, you have to come and spend the day with us. Even if it's for a little while."

I stutter out a response, but neither one of the girls has any idea what I'm going on about. It's not until I said yes does clarity shine on their expressions.

"Good," says Nicole. "For a moment I thought you were gonna bail."

Bailing isn't an option I'm considering, not when Nicole and Rachel look hyper enough to party for three.

I open my closet and throw a pair of shorts and shirt on the bed. Nicole moves to sit on my bed and plays with the clothes. I stare at her until she looks back. "How long have you and Noah been dating?"

"A year and three months,"

Rachel nods. "It's funny how they never show that they're together unless they're in a group."

Nicole shrugs and scrunches her face. "We're not like those couples. And he's not an affectionate guy to begin with. Why? You like him?"

I look to the left. "No. I-I mean, we rarely say five words to each other."

"He's complicated like that," Rachel says. "Don't worry too much, darls, you two will get along one day."

Nicole scoffs. "Yeah, and scientists have discovered a way to match your step-brothers blood with your own. Every step-parent's dream."

"I wouldn't say it like that," I say, a little discouraged with Nicole's choice of words.

I grab my clothes and walk in the bathroom, telling them I need to pee. A lie the girls probably knows about. Stripping in front of them, especially Nicole, has my fingers poking at the fat on my thighs and tummy. I hear the front door open when I change, and not a minute later closes.

Rachel stands in front of the bathroom door when I leave. Her eyes scrunch together as they flicker at me. "Lillian, why isn't Noah living with you?"

I shrug, surprising myself at how my words sadden me. "He just isn't."

"You know we went to high school together. All of us," Nicole says, fluffing her long hair as we leave the dorm. "Year twelve, someone introduced me to Noah and by April we began dating."