Numb

“Yes of course… I Love you too.” I whispered quietly to her question as I licked my finger to turn the page. She was in an off mood today. A little needier for my attention than any other. She seemed almost sad, maybe she was getting ready to leave this world.

With the fresh blanket of soft white snow lay on the ground outside. Sending the night in a black and white scene from and old movie. Crackling from the fire drew my attention as a tall dark man walked into view.

“Aren’t you a pretty peach.” He spoke in a creepy alluring tone. The kind that sends the ‘hey you might want to run feeling.’ Tilly must of sensed it to because she started flickering really bad. She did that when she got scared. 

She died about a month ago, no one knew if she was dead or alive. I’m the only one who knew she was gone. We had a connection. I felt her life flicker out that cold winter night. The very same night she appeared on the edge of my bed. Her cheeks smudged with dirt with tear stains down them. Her clothes were tattered covered in blood splatter. But, there was no sign of a wound. Nor could she tell me what happened, she couldn’t remember.

“Cat got your tongue sugar?” His voice was lower this time his hand grazing the top of the red chair I was sitting in. My eyes skittered across his face. A scar down his right cheek made me uneasy. Who was he and why was he in my parents house.

Tilly disappeared then reappeared waving her arms at me frantically from behind the scar faced man. What is it Tilly? I thought to myself. My eyes shot open wider in fear at her words.

“HE DID IT!!!” Her voice was a wailing shriek. My blood ran cold as I stared up at the man now towering over where I sat. My book falling onto the beige carpet spine up. 

His eyes displayed an unquenchable thirst for blood or something else. 

“RUN SOFIA!!” She screamed at me flickering faster than ever before. I went to run past him but he blocked me throwing me hard to the floor. I tried to crawl away again he grabbed me with his ice cold fingers. I kicked at him hard barely hearing Tilly screaming over my own. Where was my parents?

“Aw… don't fight me darlin.” My fingers dug deep into the carpet as I tried to get away. 

Blistering hot pain ran down my spine as he drug the blade deep into my spinal column..

No wonder I never saw the wound… I never saw her back. My whole body went numb as my nerves were severed. Everything was growing cold and dark. Before too long I was hand in hand with Tilly approaching a warm glowing light. 

Be aware of the warnings, lock your doors. The scar-faced man is lurking.