Chapter 7 : Discovering the truth

2 weeks later

"Come on, come on", I say trying my best to turn on the engine. Suddenly it started.
"Yes, yes, fucking yes! Finally!", I jumped out of joy. The sound was powerful and so fucking amazing.
"Congrats Alex!", I hear Eli behind me. He's with Ryan. Damien was with May.
"Damn girl. You did some magic with this car", Ryan says hugging me. Then Eli does the same.
"Thank you guys. Honestly I'm so proud of what I did to it", I say with a huge smile.
"You don't have to thank us. You're the best", Eli says. They're are the best, to be honest. I've become closer to them. They're like my big brothers.
"So, when the driver it's going to show up? He didn't come since the night I left the club and I came here", I say.
"Oh, Luke...Well he has something to take care of. He will come tonight, I hope", Ryan says.
"Oh well, he'll find me here. I just hope that he won't be a jerk again", I say and I turn off the engine.
I lay on the driver's chair and I let my head down. Soon my eyes become watery and I let the tears fall on my face.
"Alex, are you okay? What's wrong?", I see Eli kneeling down in front of me and Ryan does the same.
"I don't know Eli", I say and I take a deep breath. "Working in this car reminded me why I chose to do mechanical engineering", I add and Eli squeezes my hand letting me to know that it's okay if I don't want to continue. But I continued. "In 4 years of high school, my classmates were jealous of me because I did everything right and I had the highest grades. So they started rumors about me", I let out few more sobs.
"Jerks", Ryan says.
"But what this have to do with Luke?", Eli asks.
"In the night that I punched Luke in the face, he made me a slut. Later, that night, my mind was full of thoughts that I have been receiving back in the high school. I thought that those wounds were closed, but he opened them up. And now look at me. Working at the car of someone who doesn't believe in me", I say wipping my tears.
"Oh sweetie. Come here", Eli says and I hug him.
"Guys, can I ask you something?"
"Of course. Anything", Ryan says.
"Don't tell Luke anything about this. I told you this because I trust you"
"We won't tell him anything. We promise", Eli says.
"Thank you"
"You don't have to. Now if you excuse us, we'll leave you with the car", Eli says.
"If you want you can stay. I don't mind"

Hours later

At Luke's place

"Guys?", I ask when I enter in the house. I hear giggling and laughing from the kitchen. What the...?
I went to the kitchen where I find Damien with Maya.

"Hey. Am I interrupting something?"
"Hey bro. No, not all. Have you took care of what you needed to?"
"I should receive a call tonight. Where are Elijah and Ryan?", I ask.
"They're with Alex at the service. They called like a hour ago. Elijah said that Alex made some magic with your car. It's almost like brand new. He put on speaker and Alex started the engine. I must say that Elijah is right. She did some magic, because the car sounds so damn powerful"
"I will go at the service to check up"
"Oh Luke", Maya says. "Stop being a fucking jerk to Alex. She went through a lot of shit"
"Oh..Yeah, whatever", I say and I leave. I jump in the car and I drive to the service.
There I find Alexis's and boy's cars.

I jump out of my car going inside of the garage where I hear laughing.
There she was. Working on my car and laughing with my friends. She was so cute when she was laughing. How the hell I was a jerk to her? I fake coughed and they  stopped laughing.

"Hey Luke", Alexis says. "You came to check me?", she says coldly. I made a sign to the boys to leave and they understood.
"Alex, we go home. We can come tomorrow if you want", Elijah says.
"Of course. Thank you for staying with me. See you tomorrow", she says
"Good night Alex", Ryan says.
"Good night guys", she waves at them and they leave.

"So how's going?", I ask.
She rolls her eyes and goes back to the car.
"You didn't come for 2 fucking weeks and now you act nice? What do you have in your mind now?"
"Oh..um, someone told me to stop being a jerk to you and I'm trying to fix it"
"Yeah, sure. Like it's easy", she says.

Alexis's P.O.V

Why do I have the feeling that May has something to do with this?
I'm glad that he'll try to stop being a jerk, but it's not gonna fix the wounds that he opened up.
I know I may sound childish, but it's not easy.

"Look I know that you don't believe me, but I want to try to be nice to you", Luke says.
"And you're damn right that I don't believe you. If you want to do that, do it by actions not words"
His face expression changes. Why I need to be so harsh? Ugh, I hate it.
"Okay, look, I'm sorry for being harsh, but yes you can try to change your behavior", I say.
Next thing that he did was surprising. He hugged me.
"Luke, I'm dirty because of oil"
"I don't give a fuck. I want, um, to thank you for giving me a second choice"

That left me speechless. I didn't know what to say.
But soon the silence was broke by a phone ringing. And it wasn't mine.

"Excuse me. I have to pick up", Luke says.
"Yeah, sure", I say turning back to the car. Tonight I have to put a remote control of my fingerprint. I am determined to do that.
Sooner or later I have to find out why I had to modify the car.

"Okay. Then everything's settled for the race. In one week", Luke says.
So I was right. He's going to race. But I have to pretend that I didn't hear.
He hang up the call, and I was looking at the engine.
"What did you hear?", Luke says.
"Hear what?", I ask. "I was focused here"
"Oh, okay. Um, thanks for taking care of my car. You still have one week to work on it"
"Yeah, I do", I say in a low voice.
"Well, I got to go. See you tomorrow?"
"If you want. I'm sleeping here tonight"
"You should go home though", he says.
"Yeah yeah, whatever. See you tomorrow", I shut him out.

He leaves me alone with the car, and alone with my thoughts.
Why it was hard for him to tell me the truth?
I wanted nothing but the truth.

Now I have the damn reason to install the remote control.