Chapter 15 - Forgive them?

Beep! Beep! Beep!

I let out a groan as my hand was searching for my phone to stop alarm. I turned to my left and I see a cute Luke sleeping. A smile appears on my face as I get down and I make my way to the bathroom where I do a shower and my morning routine. I return to the bedroom where I change into underwear, dark blue jeans and T-shirt from Luke and I put on some black sneakers, I take my phone, I kiss Luke's forehead and I go downstairs where screamings were heard.

"Morning everyone!", I say and I see my parents and May's here.
"Oh thank God that you're here", my mom says and she wants to hug me but I stop her.
"Are you joking? All this time I stayed here, time that both of you didn't bother to call me"
"We did call you", my dad says.
"Oh, really? Funny thing, because I didn't received any phone calls, and guess what, it's the same phone number since high school", I say.
"Darling, we were also busy", my mom says as I let out a puff.
"It's Alexis for you, and busy with what? Oh, wait the same business which you didn't tell me about? Right, it slipped out of my mind", I say.
"What's going on?", I hear Luke's voice.
"Nothing much. Family reunion, which now is over", I say and I go to the kitchen to make coffee for everyone.

Soon I hear the door shut and I let my head down and I put my hands on the counter and I try hard not to cry. It still hurts me.

I hear my friends coming in the kitchen and May comes to hug me. I hug her and I let the tears out.

"It's hurts like hell"
"I know, but you have to forgive them, it's been months since you found out"
"Forgive them? Firstly -", I want to say but Luke interrupts me.
"Firstly, nothing. They're your parents Alex, you can't stay mad on them forever. And I don't take no as an answer. Understood?"
"Yes, sir", I say rolling my eyes.
"Good girl", he says and he kisses the top of my head.

At the garage

I was cleaning the engine of a Fiat, since I was done with the Demon, until I hear the click of heels in the garage. I wiped my hands and I went to see who was in the garage. Turns out that my parents were here.

"So, this is the place where you work?", my dad asks.
"Yeah. What are you doing here?"
"We just wanted to check out where do you work and also to apologize", my mom says, but she stops me before I could even say anything."I know you don't want to hear it, but you need to. Alex, we are in this business long before you were even born. It's like a family business, but me and your dad decided that this world is way too dangerous for you. And we thought that if you don't know about it, it will much safer for you, but then you started to grow up and you made from repairing cars a thing that kept you happy. And now you are wanted for this"
"I know mom. I threw myself in this world and I will do anything to keep my friends safe, to keep me safe, and you too. But don't ever dare to ask me to give up on doing what I love", I say in the verge of crying.
"No sweetie. We understand that this makes you happy and we will not take this from you. We just want to know if you will forgive us?", my dad asks with a hope in his voice.
I let out a sigh.
"Yes, I forgive you", I say and they hug me.
"Thank you", my mom says.
"So what do you say about a barbecue this weekend? You can bring the boys too", my dad says and I let out a small laugh.
"Yes, sure. We would love that"
"For now sweetie, thank you again. Now we have to go, we have some meetings to attend to. Take care of yourself", my mom says and she kisses my forehead and my dad does the same thing.
"Take care of yourself too. I can't wait for that barbecue dad", I say and he smiles.
"Same here, kid", he says and I turn around to the Fiat continuing my work.

It doesn't take 5 minutes until I hear a loud sound and I see the car of my parents on fire. I run to the car, but I can't do shit to save them. I take my phone I dial 911.

"911, what's your emergency?"
"It's a fire at John's service, on the 15th Street. 2 adults"
"What's your name miss?"
"Alexis Carter"
"Okay miss Carter, stay calm, the help it's on the way"
"How the fuck should I stay calm when I see my parents burning alive?!", I shout in the phone call.
"Miss, stay calm-", and I end the phone call. Soon a firetruck comes and the firemen stop the fire.
By the time they were done, I fell on my knees with my eyes full of tears, but none of them came out. A fireman came in my way.

"Miss are you okay?"
"No, I'm not"

I was staying in front of the Fiat with my back on it and I watched how the firemen were cleaning. An ambulance came to check on me, but right now I needed Luke.

"Here you are", I hear the voice that I have been waiting for.
"Why? Why now? We were supposed to spend time together, like the old times", I say.
"I wish I could give you an answer", he says and he takes me in his embrace.

2 days later, after the funeral

I always wondered why good people have to be sad sometimes. They make other people happy, they always smile, I mean why they have to be sad, right? And now I think I found the answer.
Life, is a mix of good and bad, happy and sad and they have to be in an harmony.
That's life, unexpected sometimes. I never thought that I will be here, doing what I love, with people that I love, but also I didn't know that I will lose my parents.
But on the other hand I am thankful. Without them I wouldn't be here.