Chapter 1 ~ Behemoth

Luna🌙

I'm tempted to drop out of life. Not suicide, but falling off the grid away from everything and everyone. Maybe I'll run off to Dubai...that sounds nice. Cameron just laughs at me when I tell her this. The only part I find funny is the fact that she thinks I'm joking.

"I'm serious Cameron, I'm done with people. Especially guys." I grunt into the phone speaker as I pull up to the bar.

"I understand, babe. Ricky is annoying the hell out of me," Cameron sighs.

I don't even mind her comment. They've been together since junior high and at least 5 times a week Ricky is annoying her. But their love and bond are ridiculously strong to last through high school and long-distance college. When they graduated, they immediately got married and have been that way for 5 years.

I on the other hand can barely keep one for two years without him cheating on me.

"You're still coming to the bar right? I need to rant."

"Luna one day you will find a guy who treats you the way you deserve," she attempts to console. It's not working, I'm already over men.

After assuring Cameron that we will talk more when she gets here, I hang up and cut the engine to the car before climbing out and heading into the bar. It's packed more than usual in here. I guess I'm not the only person who needed a break from life today.

Scanning the room, I spot an empty seat at the bar right between a guy and a girl. They don't seem to be together as the girl is turned to another guy entrapped in a conversation that I doubt is interesting. Seeing as she's occupied I approach the man at the bar and tap his shoulder to get his attention.

"I'm not interested," he grunts without even glancing in my direction.

"I'm not interested either," I retort. "Is this seat taken?"

"No, but I don't recommend sitting there because I don't do small talk."

Dear God, please help me not to strangle someone tonight.

"Don't worry, big man, I don't want it."

I roll my eyes and climb onto the barstool. I barely fit between the behemoth and the other girl to the left of me. Straightening my back, I attempt to make myself feel larger. This man's muscles are nearly the size of my thighs and his height is intimidating. He makes me feel small. I'm tired of the feeling. I need something strong tonight. I summon the bartender.

When the bartender comes over with a "seductive smirk" on his face my whole body tenses and I know the behemoth man felt it because he tenses as well. I don't want to be flirted with.

"What can I get the beautiful lady?" He asks.

"Whiskey. Neat." My politeness is forced. I don't want to talk to this guy, I want to talk to Cam and she's not here yet.

He leans against the bar and shakes his head in disbelief. "That's a man's drink, Baby. What about a pretty cocktail for the pretty girl?"

I take a deep breath to hone in my anger before speaking. "I just want whiskey."

Who knew it would be this hard to get a bartender to give me one of the simplest drinks? The man next to me just snickers as the bartender continues his flirting. As a bartender, I feel like he should know when a patron is not interested.

When he continues to press, the behemoth steps in, leaning in front of me to get the attention of the bartender. "Just give her the whiskey," he demands in that deep voice.

I know I kind of ruled out men, but I would make a single-night exception from him. For some reason, I can imagine his deep voice murmuring my name as I trail kisses over his muscular body. I don't think I've ever found a voice sexy, but his voice is a panty melter.