16. Turbulence

"The doctor will be in shortly."

I sat nervously in the exam room, fighting thoughts of Ethan with impending thoughts of facing Yazid. I knew in a matter of minutes I would be describing my sex life to the guy that wants to be my sex life. There was a small possibility he wanted more. I fidgeted with the end of my braids, and read all the magazines in the office. I constantly thought about Ethan...wondered if he'd considered his voluptuous assistant. Has she, him?

"Hello, Ms. Jones,"

I forced my eyes out of their trance to observe Dr. Mawem striding towards me, his eyes fixed on the tablet in his hand. He looked up and stupefied me with his bright white smile and dark obsidian complexion. Have mercy! He sat in front of me on the rolling stool then scooted close to me. Too close. My body was consumed with his long legs on both sides of me. I looked away. He was a sight that caused me to feel guilty for looking. His white lab coat against the contrast of his skin was eye pleasing, indeed. Not as resplendent as my Ethan, but a close second. His beauty made me sick. He took his heavy lithium stethoscope and placed it to my heart not releasing his eye-contact from me. One hand planted on my back. I took deep calculated breaths. He angled his head for me to look at him.

"What's the concern for today?" he asked smiling purposefully.

"Was my urine ok?" the words came out too fast. Did he get that? Did I sound Geechee? I swallowed.

"Yes.... you were worried?" his brows slumped with disappointment. He placed his heavy scope to my belly. I don't think I was breathing as he studied my bowel sounds or for something else. His prolong auscultation made me more than nervous. I hesitated to speak until he glanced up at me.

"No, not exactly." my voice wasn't the most convincing. He removed the scope then placed it over my back, nodding for me to continue. I hoped my heart wouldn't show-off. "My shots are causing me to eat too much. I was hoping it to be a good time to change for a while."

He gave me his attention, removing his stethoscope, allowing it to dangle around his neck. "Are you having unprotected sex?" he probed. His face was unmoving. It's none of his business. It was Wells business because he was old and uninterested in me.

My mouth opened but the words didn't present as I needed them to. The let down on his face was evident. I guessed he was hoping for me to be Virgin Mary.

"Let me see.." he snubbed then picked the tablet up from beside me "You've gained 15 pounds since your last visit." taking a moment to assess me with his eyes. I shifted uncomfortably on the thin paper. "May I pass judgment?" He looked to me for assurance. I nodded a fraction--not completely sure if I wanted his judgment. "I think you look incredible, Cala. The weight looks good and well......" he sat the tablet down again to narrow his eyes on me.

"Thank you." My cheeks were thermal. I crossed my legs beneath his glowing stare.

"I hope you're not feeling pressured by anyone. You're.... unrivaled." he finally managed with affliction in his voice. I stared, not able to think of what to say. He actually thought Ethan was my reason for the change. Well, he was wrong."What kind did you have in mind?" He folded his arms peering back at me.

"Maybe the implant?" I continued to stare at him with distraught densely displayed across my face.

"Are you ok with the scarring it may cause?"

"Yes. A baby could leave a larger scar." I sassed.

He broke the stare-off nodding carrying his eyes to the floor. "Would you try the oral contraceptives first? It'll be less invasive, and the implant won't stop the weight gain that you're trying to avoid. It may make it worse. I get more complaints about the implant more than any other form."