22. Solar Glare

Today was Camilla's get together for Alonzo's getting out of jail jamboree. I don't know why she bothered to invite me. I was clueless to anyone besides her, even though she insisted that when I meet Alonzo, I'll have to remember him. She said he was the father in my life. The man that taught me to walk the first time. If he was such a good man how come he spent over 20 years in jail? I've never thought to ask because I never thought the man existed. He always sounded like a figment of her imagination. She made him out to be some perfect guy who was framed.

It wasn't often that I got to wear anything else besides scrubs. As a result, finding a socially appropriate outfit was a task. I knew I needed to wear something conservative. The weather was fairly cool today for early December. I matched a tan plaid dress and trench with a nice pair of black boots. It wasn't until I checked the tag that I realised it was Burberry. The time was only 6a.m. and Ethan was beyond unhinged with the thought of me going to Charleston alone. He was up at 4a.m. taking it out on the salmon ladder. I hate I missed watching that this morning. The thought made me moist.

"At least take the jet." he appeared from the bathroom with only a towel wrapped around his waist. Water only enhanced his immensely sexy physique. He was trying to distract me from going. Ethan needed to be in Sacramento by 11 for a meeting. If it wasn't for that, he would be attached to my hip. "You won't have to leave so early and I won't worry as hard...please, Flower." the jet was very nice. It wasn't a hard decision even though I tormented him by pretending to think about it.

"How will you get to Sacramento this morning?" I returned to the mirror to assess my assets in my outfit.

"I'll take a different jet... or I could cancel this meeting--maybe send Jared instead. They don't need me there. They like to aggravate me. Talk about the same shit every week." Here comes the pacing. He was going completely nuts.

I dropped my shoulders and walked over to his distressed state. I guided the back of my hand down his defined arm causing him to freeze and attempt to control his breathing.

"I'm a big girl, Ethan. I've managed 26 years without a bodyguard, I think another day without one will be ok. I'll live. I promise." I kept my voice low and calm to ease his state of mind. He took a finger down the sensitive skin of my neck, showing me he was still in control. I rolled my neck to his touch.

"Do you promise?" he lowered his tone.

"Cross my heart... I won't die." I drew a cross with my finger on my chest. He sighed looking away from my eyes.

"This could be much easier if you would just be sensible, woman." he shook his head. I scuffed lightly at his nerve.

"It kills you to not be able to control a situation, huh?"

"In this case it does. I have to make sure you're alright. It doesn't sit well with me. You going to a party for a man who basically served a life sentence. Do you even know why he went to jail?"

"No. It's really no one's concern. Camilia loves him and I don't want to have a preconception of him. If he can pay her bills, he can have her." I returned to the mirror and caught a glimpse of Ethan's reflection from behind me. He was thinking. Nodding his head lightly and biting that lip. "Do not go finding out shit Ethan." I fussed looking to him in the mirror. He shrugged his shoulders accusingly. "As a matter of fact, don't track or hack my cell either, Ethan." I turned my head to face him. "I swear if you do I will toss the damn thing out the window and hitchhike back home."

"Oh, dammit! Fucking great! You threaten me with hitchhiking and you're wondering why I'm stressing over this!?" He ripped away from me and began an even faster pace. I laughed, holding my lower abdomen. "You don't have to have a phone to be located."