Chapter four

"Are you ready?" Blaine asked Kurt as they left the school to go to Lima Bean, a close cafeteria.

"Sure" he jumped in the passenger seat and Blaine drove them to the cafe.

Blaine turned the radio on but they didn't pay attention to it. They'd rather talk, they talked all the way to Lima Bean. Kurt was opening himself up to Blaine even if they just talked about school. Blaine was proud of Kurt, of what he's doing, he knows that is difficult and out of Kurt's comfort zone but it means a lot.

"Thank you" Blaine interrupted Kurt, who was a little bit confused as he didn't know why did Blaine said thanks.

"For what?"  

"For everything, for opening yourself to me, for this coffee, for coming into my life, for letting me getting to know you" Blaine admitted "and I'm just so grateful I met you"

Kurt didn't know how to response to that, no one ever has told him anything slightly similar to that - no one ever has been grateful because of Kurt's existence. 

There was an awkward silence, Blaine was terrified Kurt was just gonna freak out and leave as soon as he could get out of the car.

"Are you grateful you met me? No one has told me that before. Thank you to you too" Kurt broke the silence. He smiled to Blaine, who immediately relaxed and smiled back.

They arrived to Lima Bean and were about to order. There wasn't much people, Blaine liked it, he didn't want to see anyone from school there.

"A medium drip and..." Blaine started ordered and stopped when he realized he didn't know Kurt's coffee order.

"A nonfat mocha, please" Kurt finished. Blaine memorized Kurt's coffee order so he could take him coffee someday.

The waitress gave them their coffees and they left to get a table, far from the entry.

"So I thought maybe we can ask questions so we can get to know each other better" Blaine proposed.

Kurt seemed scared but he accepted "okay, I'll go first" Kurt said "who's your favorite singer?" he asked.

"Uh, what a difficult question. Katy Perry and P!nk I would say" Blaine answered kind of embarrassed.

"Oh wow, I thought you were more of a rock guy" Kurt admitted "now your time to ask"

"What are your hobbies? I saw you drawing fashion so I guess you like it" 

"Yeah I do, I know my black hoodies tell otherwise but I just don't want my clothes to get slushied" Kurt said, but actually didn't want to say he gets slushied "I also like Broadway musicals and singing"

"You sing? Why aren't you in Glee club?" Blaine asked, he didn't expect any of those to be the answer to what are his hobbies. He realized Kurt is nothing like he seems to be.

"That are two more questions and it's my turn" he avoided the questions "why have you joined the football team? I mean, you aren't like the rest of the guys there."

"I thought it was a good way to make friends, but not everyone in the team is a bad person, Finn and Sam, and even Puck, are really nice" Blaine told Kurt.

"I wouldn't know honestly, I don't know them" Kurt lied.

"Really? Cause Finn told me he is your stepbrother" Kurt's face turned to white as Blaine finished the sentence.

"Uhm, yeah, he is" he hesitated "If he has told you that I guess he's told you we don't live together" he seemed to not be enjoying the conversation anymore and Blaine saw it.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have said that" Blaine apologized.

"It's okay, I just don't like to talk about it" Kurt admitted.

"You don't have to answer but, why? Finn is a nice guy" Blaine said.

"It's not Finn, it's that I'm not ready to leave that house, my childhood home" he stopped for a second "it's where all the memories I have with my mom are, she died when I was eight and if I leave the house I feel like I'm leaving her, forgetting her. And I just can't let that happen" Kurt finished with tears in his eyes.

"I'm so sorry,  I had no idea" Blaine muttered, he was such an idiot, Kurt was sad now because of him.

"You didn't have to know" Kurt said "can I ask you something too?" Kurt asked shyly.

"Yeah sure" Blaine was getting nervous.

"Why did you transfer schools?" Kurt finally asked Blaine. He's been wondering it since they first met, Blaine seems like the cool guy everyone would like to be friends with, and he was cute -Kurt had to admit- he must be the kind of boy every girl wants.

"I- I was bullied really bad, I got beaten up. I was in hospital for a week and after that my parents decided to take me to another school" Blaine confessed, he hasn't told anyone in a long time and he had forgotten how it hurt him, the memories, the fear. He isn't ashamed of who he is but remembering waking up in a hospital bed really made him think if there was something wrong inside him, something to make people hate him so much.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that, I can't understand why would someone want to hurt you though"

"They didn't like who I am. Because I- " he hesitated, but he knew he had to tell Kurt "I'm gay"

"That's not an excuse to beat someone up" Kurt said. He didn't picture Blaine as the gay kid who is bullied. No one is how they seem, he knew it really well "is that why you asked me if I was gay?"

"No" Kurt was disappointed to hear that "it was because- because Sam and Puck told me you were" Blaine felt bad as he said that, no one has to assume anything about another person. Assumptions are not always correct, he just verified it.

"Look, I don't know what I am. People don't like me, and to be honest I don't like most of the people either. I've been living in my world, where I didn't have to face how the real world is. My mom used to tell me how good it made her feel that I was such a happy kid, but honestly, I don't even remember what that would've felt like" Kurt said "since she died I've been alone, I don't have the relationship I had with my dad anymore. He likes everything I hate and I don't think he still loves me" his voice cracked as he said this last sentence, he was crying. No, not crying, sobbing.

"I'm sure he loves you no matter what" he said smiling at Kurt, he didn't seem convince though. He knew very well a father can stop loving his child. 

"Anyways," he cleaned the tears in his face "it's getting late, maybe we should go, I'm sorry it didn't turn out as you hoped it will" Kurt was already standing up.

"Don't be sorry, we came here to get to know each other and  that's we've done" Blaine said.