Chapter eight

The way home seemed eternal to Blaine. He didn't talk though his dad was asking him about his life, high school, friends, Glee club... About everything except for the topic they never talked about. His love life.

"Your mom told me you got in the Glee club, that's great isn't it?" Robert, his dad, asked.

"Yeah" Blaine answered not showing any sign of wanting to have a conversation.

"Hey come on, talk to me. I missed you a lot Blaine" He didn't reply, he didn't want to talk to his dad. Not after everything that's happened.

A few minutes went by without any of them saying anything, Robert gave up after realizing his attempt to talk to his son had failed.

"Why are you even here? Why now?" Blaine suddenly asked.

"I asked for a transfer at work so I'd be closer to you"

"Yeah well, I don't believe you" he said trying to sound as mean as he could.

"Look kiddo, I'm sorry. I didn't react in the best way possible that I should've when you told me... you know... but I'm here now to try to make things better. I want to try, for you" Robert said, he sounded genuinely sorry but something was off for Blaine, he wasn't sure yet.

"At least you recognize you didn't react well, that's what I call a progress" Blaine said sarcastically "but you can't even say it, you can't even say your son is gay, so how am I supposed to believe you huh?" he was getting angrier and he didn't like that. It hasn't even been one hour and he's already mad.

"I'm sorry" he said "but I was shocked at first. I mean, I used to think about talking with you about girls and take you to football games like we did before" he tried to excuse himself.

"Then I have to apologize for being a disappointment to you!" he almost screamed, very angry "And if you knew me you'd know I like still like football, I'm in the team in fact because, plot twist, I'm the one I've always been and the one I'll always be" Blaine said.

"I know son, I'm just sayin-" Robert tried to say before Blaine interrupted him.

"And let me finish," they were already really close to their house so Blaine was getting ready to get out of the car "you and your homophobic ass can stop this getting-my-son-back thing you're trying to do because it's not going to work" the car stopped and Blaine got out as fast as he could.

Blaine ran to his room and locked the door. He hated his dad so much, at least that's what he told himself, because the truth was that after all Robert was his dad and he couldn't hate him and that's what pissed Blaine the most. 

He skipped dinner so he didn't have to see his dad again, and went to sleep really early though he didn't sleep much.

----------------------------------------------------
The phone rang when Kurt was almost falling asleep. It wasn't late he just didn't want to do anything.

"Hey it's Kurt" he answered.

"Hi Kurt, it's me" his dad said at the other side of the line.

"Hi, what do you want?" he asked with kind of a sleepy voice.

"I was wondering if you could come have dinner with us tomorrow, you know just to catch up. Carole would like to see you some times" Burt explained.

"Yeah sure, I'll go" he confirmed "is anything wrong?"

"No, why would it be?"

"I don't know, is that you don't usually ask me to go there if nothing happened, besides, I saw you yesterday"

"You're the one who decided you didn't want to move with us, I still miss you Kurt" Burt said, he wasn't angry about that, he understood why Kurt did it, but it still hurt Burt.

"I miss you too dad" Kurt said, and then he hung up the phone.

----------------------------------------------------

"Hey what's up?" Kurt said the next day when he saw Blaine in class. He was happier lately and he had to thank Blaine for that "You seem tired, did you sleep well?"

Blaine really look exhausted. And his all black outfit and inexpressive face confirmed it.

"Yeah, I didn't sleep much last night" Blaine confessed "but don't worry, everything's fine" he finished when he saw Kurt's worried face.

"Okay" Kurt smiled at Blaine, trying to make him feel better because he definitely knew everything was not okay, but he didn't want to push Blaine "I'm sorry we didn't talk yesterday, I spent the lunch time doing a project for Biology class and later you had Glee club meeting. How was it by the way?" Kurt asked smiling.

"Wow you're really talkative today" Blaine laughed "It was good" he shrugged "Finn asked me why was I at your house the day before, your dad told him. He is happy you're finally opening up to someone" Blaine said with a serious face.

"Oh uhm okay" Kurt was not expecting that at all, he wasn't expecting their conversation would end up being about Finn worrying about him.

"See who's speechless now" Blaine joked.

"Yeah, I didn't know Finn care about if I open up to someone or not" Kurt admitted.

"People care about you Kurt, even if you don't realize it" Blaine was thinking about himself caring about him, he didn't think Kurt actually knew what he meant to him. He was the only one capable of cheering him up even when Kurt didn't know he was doing it.

Blaine was staring at him, and he stopped suddenly when he realized Kurt was looking at him too. He tried to look away so Kurt didn't see him blush.

He didn't see it but Kurt did exactly the same, and he even had a little nervous laugh, it wasn't really loud but Blaine still heard it. He thought it was the cutest laugh he's ever listened to.

They kept talking about other stuff all class and didn't pay attention at all, they didn't care though. They enjoyed talking, Blaine even forgot his father was in town.

Blaine liked the feeling of relying on someone and forgetting about everything, Kurt did too. They liked being with each other. They liked each other. Even if they didn't know yet.