Chapter 2

POV Atalanta

I move my hand over little Bilbo's head to check to make sure he is okay when he shoots awake startling me slightly

My hood coming back slightly showing some of my face not all of it.

He looks at me with wide eyes and I hush him calming him. Like a mother does a frightened child.

"Easy, Easy. It's alright. You fainted and landed quite hard there. Shall I call you fair maiden now?" I said with a soft teasing chuckle and he had a slight blush to his cheeks.

"Your eyes...they...." He said and I look down before looking up.

"Bright? Yes I know." I spoke in a knowing tone while handing him a drink.

"Drink. Your going to need it. I am going to give you a moment." I said before standing and he grips my wrist making me halt my movements.

"Yes Bilbo?" I spoke softly and he bites his lip before looking at me.

"If I agree to this...can you guarantee that I will come home?" He asked and I bite my lip looking to the door way where Gandalf stood with one of the dwarves.

"I can't guarantee anything to you Bilbo....I will say this. I give you my word that I will protect you. On my life I promise, I will." I said before walking away passing Gandalf.

Nodding to him he walks in and I move to the corner of the room sliding down before shifting my bow off my shoulders and I feel my arrows poke into my back.

Ignoring it I pull my swords off my waist before pulling my cloak closer to me and lean my head back.

I feel the drag of not sleeping much pull on me. My body practically begging for sleep.

It is a few minutes but I let my ears pick up on the conversations happening around me. I focus on the ridiculous story Gandalf is telling Bilbo.

It was a few minutes later when I heard a humming coming from the main room.

My curiosity out weighing my tiredness. Moving I go and lean in the doorway hiding in the shadow.

My eyes glide over each of the dwarves as they hummed.

"Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold

The pines were roaring on the height
The winds were moaning in the night
The fire was red, it flaming spread
The trees like torches blazed with light"

Their voices came together making me close my eyes as I saw the images of mountain being attacked.

The rage, the fury, the lust for gold....the blood...it was a horrible day and it was hard to bare. One that I  hate remembering.