Chapter 11: the Rescue

Eugene had been pacing back and forth all night. Worried about Rapunzle. Then the door opens. Turning to see the guards had come.

"Let's get this over with, Rider." The Captain said. "Where are we going?" Eugene asked him. Then he gets it reaches towards his neck. "Oh," he said.

-line break-

At the tower now. Gothel removes them last flower from Rapunzle's hair and puts it into a basket. "There. It never happened. Now, wash up for dinner. I'm making hazelnut soup."

Rapunzle stares down not replying to her. She had gotten her wish to see the lanterns but now after Eugene quote on quote betrayed her. She felt sad. Sighing. "I really did try, Rapunzle. I tried to warn you what was out there. The world is dark and selfish and cruel. If it finds even the slightest ray of sunshine, it destroys it." With that she shut the curtains.

Rapunzle looks up then back down at the purple flap with the golden sun on it. Pascal squeaks resting his paw on her looking up sadly. Before turning blue and curling up next to her leg. Rapunzle flops down on her bed. Sighing she looks up at all her drawings.

Then she raises the small purple flap up and moves it. As she begins to notice something. Then she sees it. All around her room. The same flower or sun drawing. Then it hits her.

Rapunzle was back in her crib looking up at the sun. Then the king and queen. Lastly was the Merrill of the royal family. Gasping in shock she stumbles back knocking a chair.

-line break-

The guards began escorting Eugene through the dungeon heading to his execution. On his way he passes a cell. The Stabbingtons were in. Eugene quickly frees himself from the guards hold runs to them grabbing Sideburns.

"How did you know about her? Tell me now!" Eugene demands. "It wasn't us!" Sideburns stammers. "It was the old lady!" He tells Eugene. "Old lady?"

Eugene's eyes widen in realization. Then the guards grab him again, "aghh. Wait. No! Wait!" Eugene begins fighting them was they escort him. "You don't understand! She's in trouble! Wait!"

-line break-

"Rapunzel?" Mother Gothel calls up to her. She begins to climb the stairs. "What's going on up there?" Gothel asked her. "Are you all right?"

Rapunzle catches breathing heavily. It was now all clear. Getting up with determination she opens the curtains. "I'm the lost princess." She softly speaks. Sighing. "Oh, please speak up, Rapunzle. You know how I hate the mumbling." Gothel stares.

"I am the lost princess! Aren't I." Rapunzle declares louder. Fixing a firm gaze on Gothel. Hike her eyes widen with shock. "Did I mumble, Mother? Or should I even call you, that ?" Rapunzle said staring her down.

"Oh, Rapnuzel, do you even hear yourself? Why would you ask such a ridiculous question?" Gothel tries to hug her only to be pushed back. "It was you! It was all you!" Rapnuzel says.

Mother Gothel frowns. He gig was getting torn apart. "Everything I did was to protect you." Mother Gothel says. Rapnuzel just shoves passed her. Making her way down.

"Rapnuzel!"

"I have spent my entire life. Hiding from people who would use me for my power.. "

"Rapnuzel!"

"..when I should have been hiding from you!" Rapnuzel looks up at her.

"Where would you go? He won't be there."

"What did you do to him?"

"That criminal is going to be hanged for his crimes."

Rapnuzel gasps. "No." She whispers. "What about Valor?" She asked. "Oh, that creature? Who knows maybe she just left you. She is dangerous after all." Mother Gothel points out. Rapnuzel shakes her head. "No." She won't believe it.

"Now, now it's all right. Listen to me. All of this is as it should be." As she reaches out to touch Rapnuzel's hair. The girl grabs her wrist. "No! You were wrong about the world. And you where wrong about me! And I will never let you use my hair again!" Gothel pulls her hand free and stumbled into the mirror breaking it.

Rapnuzel turns away from her. "You want me to be the bad guy? Fine, I'm the bad guy." Gothel says.

-line break-

Eugene had kept fighting. But stops when a ceramic unicorn is perched on the wall. But then the doors slam shut. Trapped everyone inside. "What's this?" The Captain demands.

"Open up!" The Captain bangs on the door. Then the sliding part of the window opens. A man with a bearded appears.

"What's the the password?"

"What?"

"Nope."

"Open this door!"

"Not even close!"

"You have three seconds! One.."

A hook canes down from the ceiling and grabs one guard. Eugene and the other one begin looking around.

"Two.."

Another guard vanishes through door.

"Three." The Captain turns but he only saw Eugene standing there. Eugene motion to look behind him. "Huh?" The door opens as Attila walks out. With a frying pan slams it into the guard knocking him out.

"Frying pans! Who knew right?" Then the door burst open from both sides. Eugene took off running with Attila. The guards gave chase.

But Ulf appears. Doing what mines do. Acting creating illusions allowing the guys to escape.

Above waited Valor. Who was pacing. Waiting with Max. "Come on guys hurry." She begs them.

Entering the courtyard. More guards came racing at them. Hook Hand grabs him setting him on a wagon.

"Head down."

"Head down."

"Arms in."

"Arms in."

"Knees apart."

Knees apart.. knee apart? Why do I need to keep my knees apart...." Vladimir jumps and lands on the wagon sending him flying.

A scream of someone made her look to see Eugene coming their way. Jumping on the edge of building right as he lands on Max's saddle.

Eugene opens his eyes. To see Max. "Yes!" Valor shouts jump throwing a fist into the air. "Wolfe, Max! You guys brought them here?"

Max nods. "Of course we did. No way I'm leaving part of my pack behind." Valor exclaims. It was true. Valor considered him a friend, some she trust.

"Thank you." Eugene said sincerely. Max neighs. "No really. Thank you. I feel maybe this whole time, we've been misunderstanding one another, and we're really just.." Valor glares at him with Max. "You done? Because we got a princess to save." Valor ask him. "Wha- yeah let's go guys!"

Then the doors burst of and they took off running. As arrows flew at them. Valor runs along the ledge ducking her head and jumping to avoid the arrows. Eugene looks to see more guards coming from his right. Ahead of them was a dead end.

"Guys?" He looks over as Valor shifts into her wolf form. "I'll never get used to that." He adds. Then they all jump. Paws and hooves skidding down the roof and leaping off. Just like that they took off at full pace. People were shouts as they raced through town. "Okay, Max. Let's see how fast you can you. Both of you." Max whinnies while Valor growls and picking up their pace. Each began running at full speed.

Valor looks back once to see the kingdom vanishing. The forest grew closer and closer. 'I hope we make it.'