Chapter Four

Two days.

Two repetitive days of not hearing any news from the hospital. Two days of Trevor lying in silence.

Ethan had to go through these two days of school, aware of people taking close look at his face. He did his best at keeping a neutral expression but whether it was enough or not, he doesn't know. He was not the one who brings a mirror and have millions of bathroom breaks in-between time.

Trevor had it coming. He was guilty. Ethan tried to convince himself of this.

The Quills are raging every second they could get. Bianca is probably the worst. She gets on his nerves every time. He's grateful at how he only gets one class with the drama queen. So one less annoying people for about an hour and a half.

"I can't believe Ms. Byrd gave me a minus B for chemistry." Emilie huffs, distracting him of his thoughts. "I thought she was nice!"

"Our chemistry is an A-plus." Ethan winks jokingly at her, making her laugh.

Cole groans from behind. "Remind me to catch a ride with Kyle tomorrow."

"How are you gonna catch a ride with him if you wake up late?" Ethan states at his brother. "That guy wakes two times earlier than you."

Cole stuck his tongue out, being the immature brother he is. "So what?"

"I'm starting to think Kyle is a robot," Emilie says, traces of laughter still evident in her eyes.

"Maybe he is." Ethan shrugs. He looks at the looming building that blocks the sun's light. "We're here. Out."

Emilie reaches out between them and squeezes his hand. He looks at her, fondly, a gentle smile forms on his face. Those four months have been the best with Emilie by his side, especially at times like this. He starts to wonder if he had already fallen for her.

"This is exactly why I don't do girlfriends," Cole makes a face at them before getting out of the crowd, swarming himself with a group of girls.

Rolling his eyes as Ethan watches his brother from the car, he got out as well. His bag slung carelessly on his shoulder. Time regains his confidence, though kept in low profile most of the time, especially when Bianca's involved but if Trevor never wakes up, his confidence may shrink to nothing.

"So," Emilie turns to him. "Ready?"

That question had begun to be a regular thing between them. With a small smile, he nods. He leans in and drops a kiss on her forehead, an action that caused a group of freshmen to giggle and shriek. Tints of red hue colored Emilie's cheek.

"With you," he starts, a wicked grin forming at her glaring eyes. "Always."

Another shriek came from the same group of girls. Ethan mentally groans at that but pride fills his heart to the fullest. Leaving Emilie blushing beet red like that is a high achievement, even if he got the worst of it every single time.

"Okay, lover dude," Juan appears by his side, an amused grin on his face. "We got a class to go to."

Murmuring a goodbye to Emilie, he let Juan drags him to his next class.

"We haven't had time to hang out this few days." Juan expresses, looking at him in sympathy. "How are you holding up, man?"

Ethan chuckles nervously. "Well, I haven't killed anyone."