Chapter Eight

"You learned about New World Order at school, yeah?" His father began.

Ethan grunts in reply.

Levi raises a brow at his answer, pacing back and forth on the carpeted floor. His pinstriped robe swaying beside his bare feet. "Right. Well, this happened around five years before the government declared that New World Order has begun. Back then, President Russell was in charge. Jovan Powers was still one of the senators."

"Dad," Ethan stops him. "I'm tired, I have school tomorrow and my brain can't process a single thing you say this late so you've got to make it simple."

Levi rolls his eyes but continues regardless of his son's admission. "Project Future is a way to ensure the future by bringing a better chance at surviving. Life is never-ending but humans will never be. People thought—no, no, scientists all over the world know that humans will cease to exist. Hence why Project Future is made."

"So... you're creating humans?" Ethan concluded, finding the prospect unusual, something he'd find in a dystopian themed book or something.

"Well, we called it the Serum A."

Ethan scoffs. "Clever name."

"We already have a Cole in the house." His father reminds him. "I don't want a second Cole. Stop being smart on me."

Ethan quiets down but couldn't stop the running thoughts in his mind. For a scientist who could do anything science, they're crap at naming things. Just like F16, whatever that is.

"What your father is trying to say, Ethan," His mother says from her seat, eyes closed. "Is that we were trying to enhance humans. We do not create humans, we enhance them."

Levi flashes her a wink. "What your mother says."

"So did you succeed?" Ethan asks.

"We didn't." Levi's eyes hardened. "Your father did. Your mother and I weren't a part of it directly but Mark was one of the few scientists leading the process. There was one fatal mistake though, it's never been tested on humans."

"That's when the strike came," Mara adds, blinking awake. She yawns. "I'm going to sleep. Levi, I want him to know everything by tonight. Understood?"

Levi quickly nods, not wanting to anger his wife. He stares at her retreating figure, turning back to his son. "You know the rest, don't you? The attack, the bombing in the biggest lab in Geneva and several mini attacks at the other labs. Your mother and I were lucky to survive with a few scratches and wounds. Some don't. Like your parents."

Ethan swallows hard, staring onto the floor.

"Their bodies were never found, Ethan. The government stated most of them are dead. They gave up. Project Future was officially over. Now we knew they reopened the case again."

He stares at his father in disbelief. "You believe them?"

"No. Not yet." Levi shakes his head, breathing through his mouth. "I'll call a friend of mine tomorrow, see if it's true. In the meantime, do you have any questions?"

"Tons. What's F16?" Ethan raises a brow.

Levi stares at him for a good minute before nodding tersely. "A forgetting serum. It's made to keep memories safe by deleting it out but still manages to keep it deep down in the unconscious part of our brain. So it can be triggered and earned back. Any other?"