Chapter 13

**** Sarah's P.O.V ****

I didn't know when did I fall asleep last night but the gleam of sunshine and the after smell of the rain is telling me it's morning already. Though I'm fully awake I didn't open my eyes as I felt butterflies in my stomach at the thought of finding Peter beside me. Will he be sleeping still? Or is he awake already? I slowly opened my eyes. There's no one beside me in the bed, there's no one in the tiny bathroom either. I couldn't believe he just left me here and gone without a word. My face turned red with anger replacing the blush that resided earlier. I shut close the door grabbing my bag and belongings and checked out.

The roadblock is cleared now partly and I don't want to go back to that gloomy mansion and spoil my mood further, not yet. I went directly to the uni and analyzed the samples I collected yesterday and successfully managed not to break anything with the fuming anger piling up inside me. I am absolutely knackered and in damn need of a good shower but before that, I dropped by the on-campus dorm to meet Leisle.

"Hey Lei how are you feeling now?" I asked taking a seat beside her bed.

"I'm okay Sarah but the doc said I need to get some rest. Sorry about yesterday, how did the hunt go?" asked Leisle.

"No worries Lei, Yesterday was great but there was a road shut down all night due to a rockfall" I replied. 

"Ah so that was the reason Rose's not here since last night," she said rubbing her chin. 

"Rose?" 

"Yeah. My roomie. Such a sweetheart, she was the one who helped me get the assistantship at Professor Jonathan" Leisle replied with a bright smile on her face. 

"Lovely!" I replied casually and spaced out thinking of Peter again. How could he disappear without a word? 

"Is something bothering you Sarah?" Leisle asked looking at my blank face. 

"No nothing.." I lied.

"I know that's a lie, but whenever you are ready I'm all ears" Sarah smiled and pressed my hands in reassurance. 

They say shared joy is a double joy; shared sorrow is half sorrow "Hmm..well it's about this guy.."

"Is he handsome?" Leisle cut in.

"Shut up!" I rolled my eyes as an instant blush appeared on my face.

"So he is handsome. Hmm, so what's the problem then?" she giggled. 

I explained Lei about my encounter with Peter on the day my car got a flat tire, how he got it repaired, what happened yesterday and how he disappeared in the morning and how I am upset about it.

"Peculiar for sure but maybe he's got something important to tend to in the morning?" Leisle dropped the idea that my anger struck mind didn't think of till now. 

"Or maybe he's just not that into me" I voiced out my insecurity. 

"Well, only time can tell you that" she shrugged. 

"Right! I got to go now and soak my stinking self in some hot water, you get some rest sweet" I bade my farewell and left for the mansion.

I had some warm dinner served by Sally. She told me that Albert and Jenny went to some friends tonight. Wow! So these people actually do have friends. I started reading the new book that I lent from the library to take my mind off from the whole Peter thing. 

It's almost midnight and I immersed myself in the heartbreaking climax of the novel while I heard some footsteps along the hallway now heading towards upstairs. Only Albert goes upstairs but he's out of town! Maybe it is Sally? Phil? No way they never set foot upstairs. Could it be a burglar? Right! A burglar! Someone's out there after the treasure!! I grabbed my baseball bat and made my way outside of my room. Don't ask me why do I own a baseball bat. Things are quite unusual here in and around the mansion so I bought one just in case.

I know how much trust it would take for Cody to tell me about the treasure. He believed me and shared their family secret.  Now I can't just sit here and see while a burglar is breaking in. I'm not gonna let a thug take the treasure from my home! Not in my book!

I tiptoed along the hallway and reached upstairs. The noise is coming from the right-wing. I tiptoed again then I saw back of a tall figure wandering the right-wing hallways. I slowly followed him as my grip over the baseball bat tightened and I'm ready to confront the burglar. 

That very second the guy turned towards me and my jaw dropped in awe.

"What are you doing here?" I whispered though I wanted to scream on top of my lungs.

****

Please vote vote vote comment comment comment it means a lot guys <3 LK