Chapter 23

**** Sarah's P.O.V****

An arrow flew by my eye as I turned around.

After hearing Peter's heartbreaking words I ran mindless and didn't even realize that I entered the southwest forest lands of Richard's town. These lands have been inhabited by the red beard tribe for thousands of years. They are sharp hunters and didn't want any contact with modern civilization. One of the reasons why this forest track is dangerous and one shouldn't be visiting shortsighted.

As a palaeontologist, I was quite keen on the red beard tribe but the arrow welcome is a bit concerning. As the hunting pride surrounded me in all directions, my legs went numb and I fell down backwards knocking myself over a small rock.  I could feel that my last moments are nearby. Right then I saw a tall figure with a pale face, paler than the night moon itself, approaching in our direction. The golden flames have turned to a furious red. 

As soon as they saw Peter the hunters dropped their weapons and knelt down withholding their weapons mid-air like an offering.

That's...the red beard tribe's way of bowing in front of their gods...why would they do that for Peter?

Peter gestured with his hand and the hunters stood up promptly all at once.

"Are you okay?" Peter helped me to stand up.

"Yes, I am alright" I spoke in a low voice as if not to alert the tribe.

One hunter came forward and said something to Peter but my knowledge of the red beard tribal language is limited and I could barely understand a few words.

"What's it?" I asked Peter eagerly. He didn't say anything but I could see the hesitation in his eyes. 

I know he is not willing to speak so I took my chance turning towards the tribal hunters "By any chance does anyone speak any of the Latin languages?" 

"We want you both to spend the day with us at our living grounds. We are celebrating our hunter's omen festival tonight, we we.." the youngest lad of the group spoke in an utterly cautious voice and stopped abruptly after receiving a small glare from Peter. 

Aside from thinking about how they know Peter or why they retreated at once seeing him, my automatic response was"Yes". The red beard tribe is well known to preserve fossils and art from old times. Getting an invitation from them is one in a million chances in life and I being a palaeontologist not going to miss this chance. The chief hunter offered me his hand and lead the way before Peter tried to reprimand me. 

The whole place already has a festival mood. There are kids running around, lots of meat being cooked on firewood. People dressed up in feathers and have the traditional red beard drawn on their faces. 

The head hunter announced our arrival and the people's attention shifted to us. The chief of the tribe arrived and all of them bowed seeing Peter as the hunters did before. Why are they doing this for Peter?

Peter gestured again and all the people cheered and laughed as they stood up.

A little girl came up to me and held my hand and said something in the tribal language. This time I understood her as her words are simple. The kids want to play with me.  I left with the kids while Peter was talking to the head of the tribe.

After playing around for a while I get to know the young one who talked to me a while ago is called "Gani" and he is one of the few tribe members who speak English. The tribe members choose some people especially to learn English so that they could converse with the officials on some important matters. So the little Gani here would be an ambassador someday for the tribes. But for now, I want him to be my informant. 

"Does Peter come here often?" I asked him curiously. 

"Who is Peter?" Gani asked innocently. 

"The man who came along with me" 

"Oh, protector Van hoven. No, it is very rare for us to see him on casual days but he is here on festival days" Gani explained merrily. 

Protector Van hoven? Did the kid confuse between predator and protector? 

"I see, well what does he protect you against?" I asked. 

"From the big bad wolves," Gani said with an animated expression. 

"Wolves?" I am confused. What are these wolves he is talking about? Is he talking about Dingos? well if he is what is there for peter to protect them. Again he is just a small kid. I can't probably take his words for real. Maybe I should talk to some elderly. 

"Gani, I have a very interesting game. Do you wanna play with me?" 

****