CHAPTER 5

Aliza's POV

"Alright, breakfast? I'm cooking."

And with that he took off. This man is nothing like what people thinks of him. He is suppose to be dangerous, a gangster who's known for his ruthlessness, yet here he is offering me and Alex protection even when he doesn't have to, asking me if he can babysit him and as if that wasn't enough, I even saw a hint of concern when I told him I'll be out till late.

When I declined his offer I knew my words were a little harsh, but I'll do anything and everything in my power to keep Alex out of trouble. My business as it is puts him in enough danger, I can't expose him to this world any more than that.

That doesn't mean I didn't see that change in his expression where his charming self switched to the cold, emotionless person he is known to be. It made me regret the words I said for a minute but then again nothing is more important than Alex's safety.

I went back upstairs straight to my room for shower and change of clothes. I was on my way to Alex's room when I heard his voice from the kitchen. He's already up. I went down quietly not wanting to announce my presence and hid behind the wall just outside the kitchen.

"and then he started saying bad things about my mama. I got so angry I went up to him and punched him in tummy. Bam." he punched in air "When he bent down holding his tummy in pain I punched him in the nose. Bam" punch "And it started bleeding." he said with a proud smile that matched my own, sitting on the island right in the center of the kitchen, as he recited an incident from a week ago.

Dominic was mixing pancake batter and said "You taught him good, tigress" my eyes widened and he smirked. He knew I was there. I muttered a curse under my breath and came out of hiding.

Walking towards Alex I said "He's a quick learner." I kissed his forehead "you make me proud little man"

Alex had a huge smile on his face "Good morning mama"

"Morning baby, go get ready or you'll be late for school."

He went back to his room and I turned to the man standing in my kitchen looking all smug.

"I need you to stay away from him." I crossed my arm, resting my hip against the kitchen island and looked directly into his eyes to make a point of being serious. I can not afford to appear weak at any cost.

He walked towards me, setting the mixing bowl beside me "And why would I do that?" he said putting his hands on the island on my either sides, caging me.

It took everything from me to not avert my eyes, as this proximity was too much to handle. No man in my entire life was able to make me feel the way he does. I am a completely different person when I am with him. He make me feel safe even when I can protect Alex and myself just fine. I was a strong and independent woman by every mean but his mere presence makes me question that very trait of mine. Not forgetting the fact that it's been only a few hours of him invading my privacy, my home.

"I don't want him to get too attached to you. No matter how strong, he's still a kid, an emotional kid. The more you get close to him the harder it'll be for him to get over you when you go back to your life, which is inevitable."

"Who said I can't have both?" he raised an eyebrow challenging me "My going back to my life doesn't mean I have to cut my ties with Alex."

I was about to say something when he cut me off saying "...or you"

My eyes widen at what I was hearing. His words left me speechless.

Why would he do that. He doesn't have to. This can't be good. But then, why does it make me feel happy. Why do I feel so giddy at the thought him wanting us to stay in his life, which, let me tell you, is way too dangerous. He doesn't know who you I am.

We were lost in each other eyes. As if trying to reach each other's soul. He started leaning down and I closed my eyes anticipating what was about to come. I could feel his warm breath on my face. But just a couple centimeters apart we heard a voice shouting "I'm ready, mama" and we pulled back abruptly.

I stood frozen to my spot and Dominic went back to his pancakes. Alex placed himself on the stool.

"I'll be right back" as soon as the words left my mouth I took off to my room as fast as I could. I closed the door behind me and rested my back against it. This is not right. I can't let this happen.

I collected my phone wallet and a few other essentials for the day and went back downstairs.

Alex finished his breakfast and I called him "Let's go Alex". I didn't dare to look towards Dominic who was sitting on the stool enjoying his breakfast.

I was about to twist the door knob and I would have been out of here, but I guess luck was against me today. All I wanted was to leave without another awkward encounter with him, but guess what..

"Aliza you're not stepping out of that door without having breakfast."

"Yes mama, he makes really yummy pancakes. You should eat."

I closed eyes to gather enough courage. I am not the one to cower away or to hide. But like I said I'm completely different around this man. 

Not wanting to stay any longer than I have to. I turned around and gave him a glare while walking towards the plate he had set for. I picked two pancakes from the stack. He was enjoying the reactions he was getting out of me. He knew he affected me in the worst way possible. It made me so furious that he was rubbing the fact in my face with the ridiculous smirk he was throwing my way.

I turner back grabbing Alex's arm and stomping my way out of the door.

After dropping Alex to his school I drove to The Gym that Grayson and I co-own. I went straight to the office as I had few paperwork to finish.

An hour later Grayson barged in, "Liza, you've got two fights lined up today" and settled himself in the chair opposite to me.

"Alright" I gave a small smile "Thankyou"

"Liza, you have everything you want now. You're financially stable, even if you don't fight. Infact you've way more than enough. Then why do want to keep up at it? Think about Alex."

"This is who I am Grayson. It's not about money anymore. I love being in that ring. I love the power it holds. The underground is a part of me now. I just can't stop being who I am."

He sighed, knowing that he will never win this argument. This was not the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last. We finished our paperwork and soon we were in the ring practicing for my fights today.