CHAPTER 16

We were so lost in each other that we didn't even hear Alex running towards us. We only felt his presence when he wrapped his tiny arms around our legs. "Group hug!!! Yeahh!!"

Dom laughed at his cuteness. He picked him up. With Alex in one arm, he wrapped the other hand around me. All I felt was content. This is what family feels like. My Family.

"We should get going buddy, can't afford to be late for our day" he winked at Alex. 

"Yes daddy". With a huge smile on his face and a happy gleam in his eyes. This is all I want. For my baby to be happy and safe and I know with Dom and myself, he is both. 

"Hey, what about me? You guys are are gonna leave me here all alone?" I asked with a pout, pretending to be hurt for being left behind.

"Sorry mama, but it's just boys' day out."  I chuckled at how excited he is. 

"It's okay baby. Make sure to have my share of fun too" I gave him a kiss on on his cheek.

"Oh, we will. Bye babe, take care." Dom said and kissed me on me forehead before making his way out the door. 

Well, a whole day, alone. I decided to do my pending work, thus making my way to my office.

≈Dominic≈

I can't express how happy Alex made me when he asked me to be his dad. This is all I've ever wanted. To have a family of my own. Now, I have the most beautiful, strong woman with an adorable kid to call my own. I can gladly mark this day as the happiest day of my life.

Today I'm out for some shopping with Alex. When I asked him what he wanted to do today, he said he wants to go shopping. 

"Do you have anything specific in mind" 

"Yeah, I wanted to shop for tomorrow"  Tomorrow? Is something special about tomorrow? I frowned.

" You don't remember?" He let out a disappointed sigh. "It's mama's birthday tomorrow." 

So, here we are now, planning a small surprise for tomorrow. We started with the cake shop. "Mama likes chocolate". He told me, but I knew it was more for him than it was for his mama, because Alex simply loves his chocolate cake.
"Well then, what mama likes, mama gets." We booked a chocolate cake and made our way to buy gifts for her.

Alex wanted to give her a t-shirt with 'Mommy #1' printed on it, which, I don't know why, took us 3 store and 20 minutes to buy one.

Before setting off to our final destination, we thought to fill up our growling stomach. We ordered pizza and some fries and sat down at corner table. Everything was okay, good infact. Alex was happy. He was smiling a lot than usual. But you know life always finds a loophole in your happiness. So, I couldn't ignore the nagging feeling of being watched. I tried to look around for anything suspicious, but found nothing. I had to let it go. 

Then finishing our trip with my gift. Which again took a lot of time because I asked Alex to choose from a number of items. So after about Forty five minutes we made our way to the car.

That was when I heard the echo of various footsteps beside ours. I stopped when we were near a wall, I bent down to Alex's eye level not wanting to scar him for his life with what was about to happen. "Buddy, I need you to go and face the wall, close your eyes and ears. Can you do that for me?" He nodded. He is an exceptionally smart kid. He is always aware of the situation around him, quite an observant kid. He knows when something is not right. It was clear in eyes how much he was scared. He did what I asked, he went towards the wall and crouched down behind a car facing the wall.

I waited till Alex was out of sight. The parking lot was empty and it made a whole lot easier to hear even the slightest sound. I was about to turn around when I heard them charge towards me. The side mirror of a car beside me showed four men running towards me. They weren't even trying to be discreet about it. I shot one last glance at Alex, satisfied with his position I turned around just in time to avoid their attacks. without wasting any time I punched two of the nearest goon to the guts that made them stumble back and hunch over in pain, but it also made the other two, behind them, lose their balance. 

There were a number of questions running through my mind, but above everything else was Alex's safety. Goon number three and four soon recovered and came at me. I jumped up, stepped on a car for support, jumped off and whilst in the air I kicked hard on one's face, making sure to knock him out and turned my body towards the other and smashed his face in the window of a car I stepped on. While doing that I felt a sting on my arm. I dropped on one knee and supported my body fists on the ground. I looked up to see the two I punched earlier were standing with knives in their hands. They were weak. They didn't seem to be much trained and too slow on their feet. 

I stood up and analysed. Almost at the same time we started running at each other and just when they were about to reach me I dropped low and swiped my leg under one of them making him trip on my leg and kicked the other behind his knee making him fall on his face. He dropped so hard that I was sure I heard his kneecap crack.

Without wasting any second I picked the fallen knife and turned to the last one. He pulled his hand to stab me with his own instead I gripped his wrist and stabbed the knife I picked in his forearm. He let out a pained cry but choked soon as I gripped his neck squeezing a little. These men were poorly trained, not strong enough and definitely easily scared. I can see the fear in his eyes.

"Who?" I asked him, thinking this was not as simple as it seem, there has to be someone behind this. When he didn't reply, I applied a little more pressure and it was starting to work. But then we heard footsteps coming closer. I turned my head to see Zach. 

"Took you long enough" I snapped. I never really trusted him. It was Alexander who brought him along in the gang. There is just something off about this guy but I can't seem to put a finger on it. Now, Alexander is one loyal guy, making him my second in command and also a good friend of mine, considering I don't have many. But sometimes he can be blinded by his emotions and his loyalty. For example, in this case they have been friends for quite a long time, hence his loyalty towards him.

When I had the feeling of being watched I texted Alexander to send some backup for just in case. That was about an hour ago.

"Sorry boss, got stuck, I'll take it from here" He dragged the only concious guy back to his truck. As soon as they were gone I turned back to bring Alex out. I walked backed to his hiding place.

"Alex, come out. It's safe now."

Like I said it was all too easy. Well, I guess I was wrong. Because in this moment, for the first time in my life, I was scared. I was scared for the little guy who just started calling me Dad. I was scared for my son. For the first time, the thought of losing someone shook me to core.

I was scared because Alex was not where he was supposed to be. Alex was no where in sight.