7 | I WANT TO KNOW

ADYEN

     I felt the deep-seated anxiety in my chest diffuse when the last motorcycle zoomed past the window by the booth Len and I was in. I let out a breath, realizing that for a moment I hadn't been breathing.

     What the fuck just happened? I asked myself, frowning as I tried to piece together what I had just taken place. I had been paralyzed with fear on my seat, and all the person ever did was look at me. Why had so freaked out over a staredown? It also noticed I had not been the only one affected—the whole joint had seemed to stop at the moment when the biker was here and looking from one end to the other.

     "Adyen?" My eyes flickered over to Len who had a concerned look on his face.

     "Are you alright?" he asked me, and I just nodded, looking down at my fidgeting fingers. Len has been too, even though it seemed like he had already recovered from his shock.

     "You're not," he said, making me look up. My lips parted, but I didn't say anything. I wasn't okay, and his straightforwardness had caught me off guard. I nodded, and I watched an expression pass through his eyes. He reached out his hand a bit, stopping when it reached my shaking one. He didn't hold it, rather he simply touched my knuckle with the tip of his fingers.

     "Do you still want to eat here, or do you want us to go somewhere else?" he asked in a soft voice.

     I pulled my hand away. "Let's just eat here," I muttered, and he gave me a small smile, looking away from me to focus his attention on the book he'd brought out in the middle of our conversation before the incident.

     The incident still had me shaken. There was something about the way the motorcycle rider than looked at me that made me crawl into my own skin. My limbs had gone numb, and I had felt like running away. Everyone else in the diner had gone static, but I don't feel they had felt the level of distress I had. He had looked at me the most, and I wondered why. I've never seen him in my life before.

     There was something Len wasn't telling me. There was something wrong with the diner and the people in it.

     I wanted to ask Len what had just happened, but my mouth was numb, and Len was concentrated on the book in front of him. He flipped until he stopped at a page, looking up from it to stare at me.