16 | LONG LOST SIBLING

ADYEN

ADYEN

     After the meeting that afternoon, I spent most of my time myself to think. Len did keep messaging me, but I either ignored him or sent quick short replies. I used the excuse of midterms to avoid him, and I was too tired to care about my grades since my mind was occupied with so many other things.

     I moved through the week feeling drained. My mates at track practice noticed, and when they offered to head out with me for fun downtown, I panicked and got up from the bleachers. What if the biker werewolves stopped us to get to me? What would I do if things got dangerous? I didn't have a wolf, and I didn't know two shits about fighting or protecting myself.

     "I'm sorry..." I trailed, realizing that all eyes were on me now. It was a Thursday evening, and practice had ended about half an hour ago.

     "What's wrong with you, man?" the oldest person on the team said, narrowing his green eyes at me as he rubbed the back of his neck. Half of the team had left, and the other half, including me, had decided to sit in the bleachers. They had been having a conversation, and I had zoned out before they made their random offer.

     I shook my head, letting out a sigh. "Nothing," I insisted, letting my eyes flicker towards the exit.  Usually, my teammates didn't talk to me, but my lack of focus had been bothering my coach. I was the fastest person in the team—and even though people weren't my friends and were mere acquaintances they depended on me doing well on the team, so they cared in very specific cases when I was acting "off."

     "I'm going to leave, I need to study for my test tomorrow," I announced before making my way through the crowd of sitting boys before heading down the stairs on the side.

     There was a groan. "What's wrong with him?"

     "I don't know, man. Ayden's always weird, maybe he's just tired."

     "Do you think it's that native kid that he's been hanging around recently?"

     I swallowed the spit in my mouth as I walked out of earshot. I didn't want to hear my teammates theorize about my personal life. I blocked them out for a reason.