10 | WHAT ON EARTH

LEN

LEN

I remained quiet, maybe for a little too long because Adyen leaned away from me before letting out a sigh. He stared out into the living room, not saying anything as the construction noise from outside started up again.

My heart was beating too fast, so I clenched my fists, closing and opening my eyes periodically as I took in deep breaths.

"You don't have to tell me yet if it's an issue," he said, and I looked over at him. He has a blank look on his face, and the yellow light coming through the windows reflected off his brown skin. He still looked shocked, but there was a calmness to the way he was carrying himself. "I probably don't want to know yet either, he added, turning a bit on the sofa to face me.

"I had a dream," he started, looking down at the hand he had pressed down on the cushion. "No, it's more like a memory..." he clarified, looking up at me again. His full lips formed a small pout as his brows knitted into a frown.

"I think I know how I got into the foster care system," he said, turning before leaning on the backrest. "It was strange, but I think I understand now."

"I wasn't abandoned." Was the only information he gave me.

A smile formed on his face and seeing him so relieved made me wonder what his dream was about. I didn't ask, and instead, I just looked down at the space between us—taking in all the mixed emotions radiating through his scent. Anxiousness and confusion—yes, but there was also a soothing that was hinted underneath all that jumbled confusion.

My chest tightened as I wondered if I should tell Adyen that I could sense his emotions. There was a lot to learn and discovering he had only me to teach him was another layer to the issue. How much was too much? How little was not enough?

"I have a question." I looked up at the sound of Adyen's voice. My eyes locked with his deep brown ones. An emotional I couldn't put a finger on pooled in his eyes. "You know that biker from Georgiou's place?"

I nodded, and Adyen sighed before sitting up and running his fingers through his hair. "I can't stop thinking about him. His face pops up in my mind all the time. It's kind of creepy..." he trailed, and I looked on, not knowing what to say.