25 | SHARING THE NEWS

LEN

     I chewed on my thumb's nail as the sound of the other line being dialed filled my ears. I stared out of the window in my room, swinging my legs from my seat on my bed as I waited for my mother to pick up on the other end.

     I was going to tell my mother about Adyen today.

     A piece of me wasn't sure why I had put it off for so long, but I was going to tell her about my mate today if it was the last thing I did. I've tried multiple times, trailing off and changing the topic whenever I panicked and decided it wasn't the right time, but I wasn't going to do that today. Summer was getting closer, and I did plan on taking Adyen back home with me after he was back from spring break at his mum's place.

     "Hello?"

     My mother's voice caught me off guard, and I almost dropped my phone. I managed to catch it, before bringing it to my ear and whispering a small greeting back.

     "How are you doing? You've been calling a lot lately."

     Yeah, because I keep postponing something I want to say. I didn't say that out loud of course, and instead, I smiled and just muttered, "yeah."

     "How are your exams going? I hope they're not too hard." I heard running tap water in the background, followed by the sound of ceramic plates. She was doing dishes. Maybe also defrosting meat under the tap water. I smiled, realizing that she must be in the kitchen. It was about eight in the evening back in Alberta, so it would only be omega wolves on duty cleaning up the house and planning for the next day.

     "They're not hard. I quite like them," I said, looking away from my window and staring down at my toes instead. It was heading towards eleven at night, and I was starting to feel sleepy.

     "That's good to hear," she said, and I listened to the sound of her cleaning for a while before letting myself lie down on my back. I stared at the ceiling of my bedroom, preparing myself to tell my mother about Adyen, but my chest was heavy, and I was nervous.

     "M-um," I started, cursing under my breath at the fact that my voice shook. I was a bit worried that she would ask too many questions about Adyen—maybe not even like him. I knew that was me overreacting and my brain working overtime, but hey, paranoias were inherently illogical sometimes and I couldn't help getting scared about the very small potential that my family wouldn't like the person I was fated to.