20 | A CLEAR CONSCIENCE

ADYEN

ADYEN

"It's freezing out here."

"Well, it is an ice castle," I said, making Len stop in his tracks. He turned his head, grinning at me before sharply looking away. I hadn't checked the weather when I had booked tickets, and I hadn't considered what walking around an ice palace for three hours would be like under minus twelve degrees.

Despite Len's complaints he seemed to be taking it well and was moving about and staring at sculptures. We were both wearing thick pants, socks, and a rarity—gloves, scarves, and hats.

A grin made a way to my face as I followed Len around. He kept stopping and taking pictures. Maybe he was going to print them? I noticed he did that a lot, judging from all the posters on his wall.

You should tell him soon. A voice echoed in my head, and I licked my lips, blinking back the flakes of snow that had gotten on my eyelashes. I was going to tell him.

Sooner or later...

I had been telling myself that for half a day, starting from when Len and I met up at the bus stop, to when we are fish and chips before heading out to the ice castles. I would open my mouth to start a conversation in that direction, but Len would say something that would make it bad timing, or I would stall so much that I pushed it to the back of my mind for later.

"Do you want to go on the slide?" Len asked, bringing me out of my thoughts. I stared at him, not saying anything as I walked up until I was standing right beside him. There were some led lights that were installed behind the ice structured, so it flashed purple, green, and blue.

"Pretty, isn't it?" Len muttered, edging close to me so that our arms were rubbing.

"Y-yeah," I managed, even though my heart rate had gone up, and the insides of my stomach were in knots.

We stood in silence for a while, looking at the blinking led lights as the voice of other people at punt invaded our space. Len let out a sigh, but I didn't look up to meet his eyes until he nudged me with his elbow.