8 | MIND FOGS AND TRICKS

ADYEN

     Under the Newfoundland night, a woman walked under the ice rain. She looked in a hurry, each step too long, and hard for the toddlers that grasped to her hands to keep up with.

     "Hurry," she mouthed when they got closer to the stairs of the Women's Crisis Center.

     When they reached the stairs she stopped, going down on her knees before carrying one of the toddlers and making to walk up the stairs. "Don't follow me," she said the other toddler when he attempted to climb up the stairs as well. The child paused, looking at her with confused eyes. His eyes darted to his brother, who looked equally as confused. Both their lips were pursed in confusion, and when one started to cry the lady hushed them with a low growl.

     "Just Adyen. I'll come down for your soon Nylan," she said, hugging the child she was carrying to her chest. Her brown curly hair pressed upon her scalp and forehead as it soaked in water like a sponge. Her brown eyes had gone a light green in the night, matching the light in Nylan's eyes, but not Adyen's.

     This time Naylan waited and the woman got to climb up the stairs with Adyen. When they got to the solid wooden doors she dropped Adyen on his feet. The little boy watched as his mother looked into the building through the small glass windows on the doors. She paced about a bit, trying to make a decision.

     "It's perfect," she muttered before looking down at her child who was following her around. He was shaking in his wet clothes, and that only served to remind the woman why she was here. He couldn't survive on the streets. He couldn't survive with her pack.

     "You're safe here," she muttered, moving to walk away. The boy tried to follow her down the stairs but he stopped when she raised her hand to halt him. "Wolves can't offer you anything, you're better off here."

     The toddler didn't seem convinced and he freaked the woman out when he started to cry. The sibling still at the foot of the stairs heard him and started to sob as well.

     "Who's out there?"

     "Is that a child crying?"

     "Stop asking questions, go check!"