9 | FAR FROM HUMAN

LEN

LEN

When werewolves were in heat, they took precautions to mask their scents for the sanity of unmated wolves. When recessive wolves were in heat, they did nothing, because they couldn't even smell themselves in the first place.

Adyen seemed to be in heat and was oblivious to it. I started to mouth breath when Adyen and I got into the elevator together. His scent was intoxicating—like sweet baked goods. Lots of wolves in Peace River smelled like fruits and plants. Ahote had smelled like peaches. It used to drive me crazy, but Adyen's was even more overwhelming. It was a bit artificial, but that was what made it more unique and captivating. 

I noticed a variation in the smell of wolves in Toronto. A lot of the smells foreign, because they were from immigrant wolves. Pheromones were a mark of a group, and it often adapted and evolved based on what smells were attractive and more common in an area. The smells flooding the cityscape ranged from perfume to food, and stand out scents like mint, glue, and bleach. There were also out of place smells like those from hybrid coyote wolves, and wolf dogs that were common in urban areas.

"Is something wrong?"

I blinked at the sound of Adyen's voice, turning to him when the elevator dinged as the doors drew open.

"You don't look too well," he went on, walking out of the elevator with me. I swallowed the spit building up at the back of my mouth before shaking my head. His smell was a lot better when we weren't confined to a blocked off area.

"I'm fine," I insisted, leading the way to the apartment I shared with roommates. Adyen didn't seem to have bought what I said, but he didn't ask me any further questions. The hallway was narrow and had brown walls that had the paint chipping at some corners. We didn't know any of our neighbors, but there was someone whose cooking made the whole hall smell like spices.

When I got to my apartment, I unlocked the door before taking a hold of the handle and pushing it forward. The door creaked open and we walked into the living room. The first thing I noticed was that Augustine and Jasper had left the place in a mess. Clothes and books were scattered about, and someone had left some dirty dishes on the center table. I felt a wave of embarrassment hit me as Adyen moved from behind me to walk towards the sofa. I felt self-conscious having Adyen in here.