21 | NOT LIKE I IMAGED

LEN

     A few days ago, when Adyen had looked over at me from his crouched position at the end of his bed and said, "we're going to talk to my brother tomorrow," a pit had formed in my stomach, and some curiosity mixed with a healthy dose of fear had ensued. I wasn't sure why I had been scared. Heck, I'm not sure why I'm still scared.

     I blinked, feeling my shoulder get nudged. I turn my head to look at Adyen who's sitting beside me on the bus with a raised brow. "Is everything alright?" Adyen whispered, making me nod my head.

     "Yeah, I'm alright." I insist, even though my voice was shaking, and my eyes couldn't focus on anything. "How far away is it?" I asked, looking out of the bus' window and changing the conversation before Adyen could ask me anything.

     "It's a bit far," he muttered, staring down at the google maps trail in his phone. "I told you, his pack is up at the abandoned apartment complex next to deserted warehouse and factory," he explained.

     I hummed, remembering bits and pieces of that information. I also remember wolves from Georgiou's place mentioning that the rogue pack was straddling territory lines, just enough not to piss anyone off.

     The abandoned buildings.

     An odd place to settle, considering that most werewolves in the city just wanted to blend in as much as possible. I wondered how long it would take for the city to declare that homeless people were illegally occupying houses.

     Somewhere in between the ride, Adyen leaned on me to take a nap. Of course, I couldn't sleep after that. I stayed stiff, letting myself look at his sleeping face from time to time as the ring of the bus passing through stops filled the air. Adyen woke up a few minutes before we reached our stop, and unlike me who was nervous and panicky, he was comfortable and chatty. He kept going on about his brother, and his bright attitude was a big contrast to the gloomy scrap jungle that was the path to the abandoned apartment complex.

     As we got closer, I could spot the bright eyes of wolves in the distance. When we locked eyes they scattered, trotting about with tongues hanging low as they moved to circle Adyen and me. They were mutts of varying fur types—mixed breeds, and some small enough to pass off as dogs. I could even spot a coyote and a few wolf dogs.