Chapter 9

Izuku couldn't stop the eager feeling that washed over him when the fight had really started. He was smiling under the mask as he dodged and ducked out of the way of the explosions and ice. Katsuki's skill level hasn't gone down at all, despite what he probably felt when Izuku disappeared, the quirkless boy noted to himself. Of course, he had almost nothing to base his assessment of Todoroki's skill, but he could easily tell that it was at least equal if not better than Kacchan. His weapon's weren't doing the most they actually could do, but that was because Katsuki was a lot better at dodging now and combined with Todoroki, the attacks were powerful and frequent. He only really had a moment to feel smug that Katsuki had to learn something other than punching, but that had to be expected to some degree. As he started to skid to a stop, a few yards away from the two in heros training, ice coated the ground and he slipped. He managed to catch himself before he completely fell over with his hands, flicking the energy blades off so he didn't accidentally hurt his hands. Katsuki set off a large explosion, the force sending Izuku sliding back on the ice. The heat that the explosion put out melted it a little, enough so that it was even more slippery. Izuku used it to slide completely off the ice as Todoroki froze it over again. He realized that it was a smart move, likely unintentional, and made a mental note to write it down. Izuku jumped to his feet again and looked back at the two heroes. Katsuki stared him down for a few seconds before rushing forward. Behind him, Izuku noticed the slightly exasperated look on Todoroki's face. Izuku found himself smirking again. The UA school year had barely started, so it was doubtful that the students would get along all that well. Most of them probably barely knew how to act heroic, or how to fight. He instantly excluded Todoroki from that list unexperienced, considering his family. As Katsuki charged him, shouting something that Izuku didn't care to listen to, the green-haired boy whipped around and ran toward the railing on the side of the platform. He grabbed the bar with his hands and pushed himself upside down, supported in the air. Katsuki paused for half a second, shock crossing his face—probably from the fact that before the League of Villains, Izuku could barely run a few miles without heaving and collapsing. He felt only a flash of pride at Katsuki hesitation, but quickly pushed off the railing when he saw Todoroki running forward and preparing to shoot more ice his way. Izuku fell down the side of the platform, flipping in mid-air quickly to land on his feet. He was right to put small shock absorbers in his sneakers. He pressed his body to the wall that supported the platform he had just jumped off of. He looked back up at the ledge. The two probably couldn't see him in the shadows, even with the green hair. So he waited patiently for the half a minute that it took for Katsuki to shout something notciable. "So what he's planning an attack!?" he heard the blonde say. "We can easily beat him!" Izuku frowned at that. He had planned for Katsuki's confident nature, the inferior feeling he made sure that everyone who dared get near him felt. He was starting to prefer the more reserved Todoroki as an opponent. With a sigh, he pulled the grappling hook attached to his hip out and fired it up. The hook looped around the bar easily.

After a few seconds of making sure the two either didn't notice it or weren't going to mess with it, he pulled the trigger again. The wire instantly started retracting and he held on tight as he was pulled upwards at double the normal speed the grappling hook should allow. You could do a lot with junkyard scraps, he thought to himself when the pride of his modifications actually succeeding washed over him. He pulled up nearly to peeking over the edge when he stopped it. His hands reached up and grabbed the bar as he left the hook hanging. He had others. Sure enough, Katsuki and Todoroki were shouting at each other. Katsuki completely blocked the others view of where Izuku was now crouching on the railing, and the blonde was turned around, shouting at Todoroki. Izuku took a moment to relax as he thought of what to do, which would be more fun. He could wait for Katsuki to turn around and shock or kick him in the face, that would be fun. Or he could test out his theory with Katsuki's grenade shaped gauntlets. Of course, Izuku had watched the battle training before this, and he witnessed as Katsuki pulled the trigger on those gauntlets and the chaos that erupted from it. Izuku decided that he could to both. He carefully lifted his hands off the bar, balancing only on his feet. He waited until Katsuki huffed in annoyance, guard going down just a little. He hopped off the bar and reached around the blonde, grabbing his arm.

Katsuki instantly stiffened in shock and tried to pull away, but Izuku had his arm lifted and he pulled the trigger of the gauntlet. Todoroki's eyes widened in shock at the action and then the large explosion that went off. Katsuki was staring in horror as his quirk had accidentally activated on instinct and the massive explosion erupted. Izuku stared in awe at it's strength while Katsuki froze up, even if it was just a little bit, when he had no idea what he just did. Todoroki coughed dryly, looking back up as the smoke cleared. He had seen the giant explosion, too, but he hadn't thought it could ever be that much. It was probably built up from both the battle training and the rest of the time he had been wearing it, so the size and severity made sense. His eyes were squinted as the pain that had shot up his body faded away as he iced it with his quirk. He was able to defend himself so he did get the blunt of the attack, but it still hurt. His bicolored eyes turned to Izuku, standing half behind the shocked and scared Katsuki.

The mask had retracted back somewhere along the line so that it only covered the bottom half of his face with the teeth patterns. The bright emerald eyes shined with what could only be described as childish awe. Katsuki snapped back to reality and immediate shook Izuku off his arm and reached for the mask. Izuku dropped to the ground again and swung up with his foot, toes slamming into Katsuki's chin and shaking his skull. Katsuki grit his teeth as he stumbled back, wishing the pulsing in his head to go away. He scowled at Izuku, explosions sparking as he dove after Izuku again. The other easily rolled out of the way and jumped back onto his feet. He swung around and landed another kick on Katsuki, hitting his shoulder and knocking him over. Katsuki collapsed and rubbed his temples angrily, as he waited for the head ache to go away. He knew it was stupid to completely stop fighting, somewhere in the back of his aching mind, but he could barely think and really didn't want to mess up... like letting Deku sneak up on him and fire the weapon directly at Todoroki at nearly point blank range. Izuku turned back over to Todoroki and glanced around the main platform. Kurogiri was handling the students well. Ingenium-Junior was no where to be seen, so Izuku guessed that the other villain had let him run away at some point. He sighed and wandered over to Todoroki, hands swinging lazily by his side. He crouched down next to the other, knowing that he was likely far too injured at that moment to do much. Just to be safe, though, he sent a small shock wave through the other. "You have a fire quirk, too, don't you?" Izuku asked quietly. He watched as Todoroki stiffened instantly and glared hard at the green-haired villain. "But you don't use it... Issues with dear-old-dad Endeavor?-" Todoroki's flinch confirmed that "-He is egocentric, so I don't blame you if you hate him. But they're your quirks, not his by any means. You should start using it, since it is yours. You don't owe him anything." Todoroki glared up at Izuku, body still aching from the shock wave. He tried to push himself up, but was only able to make it so he was propped up on his elbows before his muscles started to give out. Izuku stood back up, looking over at Kurogiri and started walking back over to them. The ground shook and he whipped around as a loud crash sounded from behind him. He fell backwards onto the ground as the culprit walked forward, out of the cloud of smoke. His eyes widened and he grit his teeth as a small wave of fear washed through him, making his stomach twist. Kurogiri only glanced once at the approaching figure before warping away, leaving Izuku behind—unintentional, he hoped. The student's faces all lit up with relief, some with awe, and others with surprise as the figure emerged from the smoke. Izuku stared openly, and muttered, half to himself to help him believe it.