Chapter 15

A/N: I’ll give you the answers in the next chapter since the contest is still ongoing. Also, I mention here a magazine called “Value”; I’ve made it up and if it reminds you of an existing one, that’s a coincidence.

*****

Nathaniel’s POV

“So, I was about to turn Josh into a frog?” Vallery asked, licking the remnants of ice cream from her spoon.

“Yep.”

“And Hunter wanted to give you love bites?” She grinned. “Well, that part of the dream might come true.”

I glared at her but she just laughed and went on with interrogating me about my dream.

“What were mom and dad?”

“They were not in it.”

“Really? Mom ought to be in there; she dotes on you whenever she has the time and sometimes when she doesn’t, so I’d imagine she’d invade your dream. No surprise there was no sign of dad though.”

She got up from her seat and took our bowls and spoons to wash, grimacing as she stared through the window next to the kitchen sink.

“Why are you frowning?” I asked my twin.

“It’s October – a typical October day, not like the ones we’ve had lately – and Hunter is throwing out the trash naked.”

I jumped off my stool and ran to the window.

“He’s not naked,” I protested testily. “He’s wearing jeans and a t-shirt.”

“He’s too naked for the season,” she justified. “Love how you rushed to check him out though.”

“I was just surprised because it’s cold outside,” I replied, turning away from her and walked back to my seat. “Do you think he really would’ve fully undressed the other day?”

“Nah, I think he was just messing around,” she turned off the tap. “But if you want to see him naked, just tell him so, bro; I’m sure he’d love to comply,” she winked at me.

“You might want to dress into something that doesn’t show off your belly button, Val,” I said, trying to steer her thoughts in a different direction. “Aunt Sarah is coming today, remember?”

“Lousy change of topic, Nat, reminding me Satan herself is coming over today.”

“Don’t forget about the pooping machine and our beloved cousin,” I reminded.

“I couldn’t even if I wanted to!”

*****

“Why do we have to stay in the yard again?” Val whined, leaning on an almost leaf-less cherry three.

“Because your father is going to arrive with Great Aunt Sarah any moment now,” our mother answered, her hands tightening her light brown bun of hair.

“But why do we have to wait outside in the cold?” Val asked again.

“You can always buy a proper coat, Vallery,” mom noted.

“What’s wrong with this one?” My sister pointed at her jacket.

“It’s not a coat, Vallery; it’s a denim jacket. And it’s black,” our parent added once more criticizing my twin’s color of choice.