Chapter 16

Nathaniel's POV

"Mom?"

"Well," she repeated, her hand darting towards the bun. "I would not call it utterly disgusting, Sarah, just unsettling. What do you think, George?"

"It's unnatural, that's what it is. I am a rational man..."

"Of course you are a rational man, George," Aunt Sarah interrupted, "you are a geologist."

"Yes, as I was saying," my dad fixed his thin rim glasses to stay more firmly on his nose, "I am a rational man and I realize that some... deviation are present in all areas of life, but let's look at nature, shall we? Animals don't pair up in same-sex couples; a male and a female team up to raise an offspring and assure the survival of their species. From an evolutionary point of view, gay couples are obsolete."

I wanted to object but when you looked at the issue at that angle, dad was correct.

"What about good old-fashioned fun?" My twin butted in. "What's wrong with having fun or even falling in love with someone from your own gender? I mean, gay couples could still raise a child."

"Val is right," I commented, glad that we could discuss the matter from another perspective. "There are numerous examples of gay couples adopting and successfully raising a child. The only uncomfortable situations that child might be put in come not from the family, but from the straight people who judge them. If a child feels loved, it wouldn't care if it has two moms or two dads; that would only turn into a problem when other people point it out and declare it wrong."

"My God, Nathaniel," Aunt Sarah had placed her chubby hand over her abundant chest. "I would never think you of people could say something like this. You are such a rational boy. I must admit I am rather disappointed in you."

The proper reply would be to lower my head and apologize; it was expected of me as I was not one to upset a family member, be it one I disliked. But even though my pulse was drumming in my head and I put a lot of effort in my attempts to breathe at a normal pace, no words of regret left my lips. On the contrary, I kept on talking.

"There are many gay or bisexual influential historical figures. As a matter of fact," I went on, thinking of her love of classical literature, "Oscar Wilde is said to have had male lovers. Even people who are not fond of the books produced at his time cannot claim he has no talent." Aunt Sarah was growing considerably crimson, her eyes enlarging as she puffed more and more and she seemed to inflate with words of unspoken fury and judgment. "I believe sexual orientation has nothing to do with someone's personality or abilities or their morals. I believe..."

"Nathaniel!" Mom whispered harshly, pulling on my hand. "Stop it! Now!" I opened my mouth to protest but she turned to the rest of the family and with a quick "Excuse us" and dragged me out and into the kitchen.

"What do you think you are doing?" She demanded to know in a low but firm voice. She went on before I'd had a chance to reply. "Are you purposely trying to upset Aunt Sarah?"

"I..."

"I expected something like this from your sister, but from you?" She shook her head and I swallowed loudly as I saw a look she'd never given me before. Anger and disappointment flamed in her blue eyes.

"I-I'm sorry, mom," I muttered, lowering my gaze. I couldn't face her now; I couldn't deal with not living up to her standards.

"Don't apologize to me; go say you are sorry to your Aunt Sarah."

I hesitated. I wasn't actually sorry about what I'd said.

"Go!"

Her voice trembled and I willed my feet to move. I'd gotten to the hallway but before I entered the living room, I rushed back into the kitchen with the intent to hug her and apologize again.