Chapter 26

A/N: I’m so happy right now! You probably know who about the wattpad4 and their monthly contests; each girl picks one entry story and then the four of them announce the four winners. MY NEWEST STORY – YOU ARE THE ANSWER – WON! The competition was tough (I read the summaries to some of the other entries) so I’m ecstatic. Maybe give the story a read and tell me what YOU think? I’ll love you forever if you do ;)

It’s only a Prologue and one chapter so far, but I’ll post Chapter 2 before the end of the week.

*****

Hunter’s POV

She sat on the counter, munching on her cookies. Her face was thoughtful and her legs, clad in black jeans, dangled.

“So…” Val began when the last on her treats was traveling down to her stomach. “You kissed my brother?”

“On the cheek,” I nodded and she absentmindedly repeated the gesture, her eyes focused on no particular thing as she stared at the pale wall of our kitchen.

“And he didn’t freak out?”

“Nope.”

“He didn’t push you or run out of the room or anything?”

“No.”

“Good,” she concluded as her eyes found me, a creepy smile slowly spreading on her face. She jumped off the counter and threw the cookie wrapper in the bin. “I was starting to worry with your getting-close-then-not-speaking-to-him-for-days approach.”

I shook my head.

If she only knew how hard that was for me! If Nathaniel only knew how difficult it was to stay away from him for so long because yes, a few days without him seemed like a long time.  Vallery’s reports on his activities, as detailed as they were, were not enough. I wanted to talk to him, not hear about how he talked with other people, his boring girlfriend included.

“Maybe we should speed things up now,” she began pacing from one side of the room to the other. “We should find a way to get you two in the same place and for a long time. A sleepover would be suspicious since you live next door so we’ll have to get more creative,” she went on with what I’d once heard Nat call her ‘scheming face’. “A road trip… Yes, that might do it. A road trip with a sleepover in another town. But we’ll have to think of a way to get Nat to tag along… I’ll be coming too, so it wouldn’t seem fishy to him.” She stood still for a second, chewing on her glossy lip, then resumed walking. “I think I have an idea how to make my brother come but how is mommy dearest going to let us go away for a weekend? Maybe if…”

I tuned her out, my thoughts back on Nat and Irene.

By my calculations, they would break up soon. She looked at him as if the world would end if he was not around, but he did not reciprocate. He seemed to like her but I didn’t see any sparks flying; the passion was still lacking. He felt no thrill when he was with her and I knew he felt it with me. So yes, they would be breaking up soon.

In a way, Nathaniel was cruel to us. He was cruel to Irene, because it wouldn’t last and he led her on, and he was cruel to me, because the attraction was there, yet he kept his distance.

But he was warming up to me; he might even leave that girl because of me, not because he got fed up with her.

Should I feel guilty?